Middle East and Africa vegetable oil market is projected to grow at a CAGR of 4.31% during the forecast period (2020 - 2025).
- According to USDA report, the growth rate of rapeseed oil consumption in the Middle Eastern country like UAE was stagnant, accounting for 17 thousand metric ton in 2017 and 2018. However, it is projected to grow in the forecast period. The rise in the export of canola oil is witnessed in the regional market. Additionally, due to the import opportunity posed by the ongoing trade war between China and Canada, the United Arab Emirates is projected to further augment the export of canola oil to the Chinese market.
- The Middle Eastern region uses vegetable oil, such as sunflower oil, soybean oil, and others, in personal care application. According to USDA report, the Middle Eastern region imported 248 thousand metric ton of soybean oil in 2018-2019.
- Cargill Incorporate is the leading player operating in the country with its wide range of offerings, including corn oil, rapeseed oil, soybean oil, sunflower oil, and palm oil, among others.
Key Market Trends
Increasing Application of Palm Oil
The extensive application of palm oil in different food and bevrage products such as bakery products, dairy products, savory snacks, confectionery, margarine and fats, and others followed by increasing foodservice outlets is one of the major factor driving the palm oil market in the country.For instance DH Brothers Industries (Pty) Ltd company supplies deodorized palm olein to McDonalds and various fast-food restaurants, as well as other industrial users of palm olein and other palm products.The animal feed and pet food industry is the next major industry influencing the demand of palm oil in middle eastern countries primarily Saudi Arabia and United Arab Emirates. The oil-rich nation (Saudi Arabia imports most of the palm oil from Malaysia and Indonesia, specifically for its food processing units. On the other hand, Malaysian palm oil and palm-based products imported by Saudi Arabia in 2018 amounted to 570,870 metric ton, which is valued at USD 301.4 million. This accounted for almost 2% of Malaysia’s total export of palm oil and palm-based products. Furthero
South Africa Held the Largest Share in The Market
According to USDA report, sunflower and soybean oil accounted for 56% share of vegetable oil produced in the country, accounting for 209 and 198 thousand metric ton of sunflower and soybean oil production, respectively. The South African palm oil market is strongly dependent on imports from Indonesia and Malaysia for its application in cosmetics, and food. Additionally, corn oil is used in the feed application. The boost in palm oil application is owing to lowered price compared with soybean oil, sunflower oil, and olive oil. According to ITC Trade Map, the country imported 472,874 ton of palm oil in 2018 compared to the import of 468,694 ton in 2017.
The most active companies in the Middle East and Africa vegetable oils market are ADVOC (ABU DHABI VEGETABLE OIL COMPANY), Amira Nature Foods Ltd, Wilmar International Limited, Cargill Incorporate, Omani Vegetable Oils & Derivatives Co.(L.L.C) among others. The active companies in the market have adopted product innovation as the strategy, due to changing consumer preferences in the region. The major focus of the companies is to offer products with wider application range aiding all feed, food and beverage and industrial sectors, thereby, catering consumers’ preferences efficiently. Moreover, the companies have adopted continuous expansion as their strategy to achieve the competitive advantage in the market and expand their geographical presence and customer base.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support