Blu-ray technology vendors face significant challenges stemming from the continued momentum of over-the-top (OTT) video streaming—the fastest-growing segment of the home video market. The seemingly inevitable consumer transition from physical disc to digital video content consumption via OTT services is negatively impacting the sales of Blu-ray players/media, dampening the latter’s inherent value proposition as a digital distribution platform. Even as the industry tries to address these challenges through the introduction of 4K players and discs, we expect the overall market to decline over the forecast period.
Unit shipments for the global Blu-ray players market are expected to decrease from 46.6 million in 2019 to 16.1 million in 2025, recording a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of (16.2%). Unit shipments for the global Blu-ray media market are also expected to decrease from 488.1 million in 2019 to 334.7 million in 2025, recording a CAGR of (6.1%).
However, the growing affordability of Blu-ray players and discs, combined with advanced technologies such as 4K/HDR/Dolby Vision/Dolby Atmos and user-friendly features including built-in Wi-Fi and USB connectivity, will make the format more appealing to a broader customer base. Blu-ray technology will therefore continue to be significant part of the home entertainment market. Broadband speeds are still insufficient in many parts of developed countries (a trend that is even more pronounced in developing regions) and not reliable enough to provide a consistent 4K experience for the foreseeable future.
This market insight covers the following:
- Global market trend analyses—including market drivers and restraints
- Detailed unit shipment forecasts for the Blu-ray media and players market
- A competitive landscape, in terms of major participants and market share analysis
Geographic Segmentation: The global market has been segmented into North America, Latin America (NALA), Asia-Pacific (APAC), and Europe, the Middle East, and Africa (EMEA).
Key Issues Addressed
- Will the market continue to decline at its present rate over the forecast period?
- Where does Blu-ray technology currently stand? What are the primary challenges faced by vendors in this market? What are the drivers and restraints for growth in this market?
- What does the current competitive landscape look like? Will there be further consolidation over the next 4 to 5 years? Is the market attractive for mergers and acquisitions?
- What are the revenue breakups by geographic regions (North America / EMEA / Asia-Pacific / Latin America)? Which are the fastest-growing regions?