This study reports the findings of a major Frost & Sullivan survey conducted during 2019. The survey was conducted in the U.S. and Europe (England, Germany, France) and had the following objectives:
- Measure the current use of--and future decision-making behavior toward--mobile worker applications and devices
- Uncover preferences and plans regarding a number of related mobility topics and issues in the work place
- Include a specific focus on two complex mobile worker app categories: 1) Mobile field service management (also known as mobile workforce management), and 2) Mobilized sales force automation.
Mobile worker apps are being used by more than just remote employees. This survey identifies the various types of users and prioritizes the many positive business impacts these apps are having in the business sector.
The survey respondent sample was screened to include only management personnel involved in purchase decisions related to enterprise digital solutions. The respondents worked for businesses that already use mobile worker applications and/or devices. These businesses had 25 or more employees. The survey was conducted as a computer-based web interview. The sample size was 502 respondents (201 in the U.S. and 301 in Europe).
Mobile worker apps allow mobile and field employees real-time access to—and exchange of—information, collaboration, and/or guidance via their smartphones, tablets, wearables, and other mobile devices. These solutions can be as simple as an approved GPS navigation app or basic mobile form. They can also be as sophisticated as mobilized field service management or field selling apps that automate and optimize complex work processes.
KEY ISSUES ADDRESSED
- How many different mobile worker apps have typically been deployed by today’s businesses?
- What are customers’ future plans for app deployment and expansion?
- What factors must be addressed when making a mobile worker app purchase? What are the top selection criteria used to select a particular mobile worker app?
- Do today’s businesses prefer packaged or custom mobile worker applications? Do they prefer cloud or on-premise delivery? How satisfied are current users with the level of back-office integration currently implemented? How important is the incorporation of artificial intelligence in today’s more complex solutions?
- Who do today’s businesses favor as their mobility partners when evaluating and selecting a mobile business app? Corporate software vendors? Wireless carriers? Systems integrators? What are the top selection criteria used to select a particular mobility partner?
- What types of growth opportunities exist for the providers of mobile worker apps?
- What are the current preferences and plans regarding mobile field service management solutions and mobilized sales force automation apps?