The Wi-Fi chipset market was valued at USD 19.7 billion in 2020 and is estimated to reach USD 25.2 billion by 2026; it is anticipated to grow at a CAGR of 4.2% during the forecast period (2021–2026). Growing number of public Wi-Fi hotspots, adoption of Internet of Things (IoT), growth of Wi-Fi in enterprise and business, rising need for faster data transfer and significant increase in the internet penetration rate are significant driving factors in the Wi-Fi chipset market during the forecast period. The growth of the Wi-Fi chipset market would also largely depend on the success of new Wi-Fi technologies, including IEEE 802.11ad (WiGig), and 802.11ax standards. However, several factors, such as the decline in the shipment of tablets and PCs over the last few years and long standardization and certification time, are hindering the growth of the Wi-Fi chipset market. Moreover, increase in coexistence issues with LTE in LTE-U due to the use of 5 GHz band is a major challenge for Wi-Fi chipset manufacturers.
Tri band will have highest growth in coming years
The tri band segment is expected to account for a 24% share of the overall Wi-Fi chipset market by 2026. The high growth of the tri-band Wi-Fi chipset segment is attributed to the use of 802.11ac in smartphones and Wi-Fi access point equipment. The upcoming 802.11ax or Wi-Fi 6 is expected to provide 160 MHz channel widths to accommodate data-hungry applications over the 6 GHz band; it could lead to the adoption of Wi-Fi 6 and next-generation security of WPA3
Consumer electronics vertical is expected to hold the largest share in 2026
With the emergence of several smart appliances that can connect to the internet and smartphones, the IoT technology market for the consumer electronics segment is expected to witness healthy growth, and so is the Wi-Fi chipset market. Therefore, it tends to hold the major share of the Wi-Fi chipset market during the forecast period. Similarly, wide coverage range, fewer access points, minimized costs, and simplified network deployment are the factors fueling the demand for Wi-Fi 6 in enterprises, which was the second-largest market for Wi-Fi chipsets in 2020.
APAC is attributed to grow at the highest CAGR in the Wi-Fi chipset market during ther forecast period (2021-2026)
APAC accounted for the largest share of the global Wi-Fi chipset market and is expected to become the largest market for Wi-Fi chipsets by 2026, accounting for an estimated 50% share of the market, in terms of volume There are several consumer electronics product manufacturers operating in China, South Korea, and Japan, such as Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd. (South Korea), Huawei Technologies Co. Ltd. (China), ZTE Corporation (China), and Sony Corporation (Japan). The large pool of consumer electronics manufacturers and low-cost manufacturing of Wi-Fi chipsets in China have led to the largest share of Asia Pacific in the Wi-Fi chipset market.
The break-up of primary participants for the report has been shown below:
- By Company Type: Tier 1 - 20%, Tier 2 - 55%, and Tier 3 - 25%
- By Designation: C-level Executives - 50%, Director - 25%, and Managers - 25%
- By Region: North America - 60%, Europe - 20%, APAC - 10%, and RoW - 10%
The Wi-Fi chipset market was dominated by Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. (US), Broadcom Inc. (US), MediaTek Inc. (Taiwan), Intel Corporation (US), Texas Instruments Incorporated (US).
This research report categorizes the Wi-Fi chipset market by on standard, multiple-input multiple-output (MIMO) configuration, band, vertical, and end-use application and region. The report describes the major drivers, restraints, challenges, and opportunities pertaining to the Wi-Fi chipset market and forecasts the same till 2026.
Key Benefits of Buying the Report
The report would help leaders/new entrants in this market in the following ways:
1. This report segments the Wi-Fi chipset market comprehensively and provides the closest market size projection for all subsegments across different regions.
2. The report helps stakeholders understand the pulse of the market and provides them with information on key drivers, restraints, challenges, and opportunities for market growth.
3. This report would help stakeholders understand their competitors better and gain more insights to improve their position in the business. The competitive landscape section includes product launches and developments, collaborations and acquisitions.
4. This report would help understand the pre and post-COVID-19 scenarios as to how would the penetration of Wi-Fi chipset will look like for the forecast period. The region segment includes the country wise impact analysis of COVID-19 and initiatives taken to overcome these impacts.