The Asia-Pacific gas turbine MRO market in power sector is expected to register a CAGR of over 3% during the forecast period of 2020-2025. Factors, such as the aging fleet of gas turbines, need to maintain operational efficiency, and stringent emissions norms from power plants, are expected to be major drivers for the market. The rising demand for cleaner energy from gas turbines over, concerns of the environmental impact of energy generation from coal-fired plants, is expected to boost the Asia-Pacific gas turbine MRO market. However, increasing shift toward renewable energies, such as solar and wind, for power generation and increased durability of modern gas turbines have somewhat hampered the growth of the market.
- The maintenance sector is expected to dominate the market during the forecast period, owing to various factors, such as the growth of the aviation industry in the region, increase in power generation from gas-based plants due to rising concerns over greenhouse gas emissions, maintaining the efficiency of turbines, and stringent emissions norms on power plants.
- The increasing demand for electrical energy to sustain global development requires consistent heavy investments in power supply generation. This has helped the growth of the market for gas turbines MRO significantly in recent, andit is expected to do so during the forecast period.
- China is expected to dominate the market growth, owing to the factors like economic growth, growth of the aviation industry, increase in the number of gas-based power generation plants, and the aging gas-based power plants.
Key Market Trends
Maintenance Sector to Dominate the Market
- The increase in the production of natural gas has shifted the global focus on the development of gas-fired power plants. The greenhouse gases emitted from gas-fired power plants are comparatively lower than that emitted from coal-fired power plants. Moreover, the demand for peak power is increasing globally, which can be most effectively met by gas-based power generation.
- The increase in the number of gas-based power generation plants leads to growth in the gas turbine MRO market. While a gas turbine may need an engine repair or replacement in 4-5 years, the maintenance starts soon after installation. Electricity generation from gas in the region grew from 1001.7 TWh in 2008 to 1485.8 TWh in 2018, registering a growth of over 45%.
- Asia-Pacific holds over 48% of the global revenue passenger kilometers in airplanes, with significant growth in recent years and China leading the region with an 18% share. This increase in the aviation industry goes hand in hand with the gas turbine MRO industry.
- Furthermore, the electricity demand is expected to increase in the future, fueled by the electrification of the automobile. Several countries have adopted targets of phasing out the sale of passenger cars running on fossils.
- Therefore, factors, such as increased access to electricity, rise in the number of electric vehicles, and increased concerns over greenhouse gas emissions from coal-based power plants, are expected to help drive the gas turbine market in power sector, which is expected to drive the Asia-Pacific gas turbine maintenance market.
China to Dominate the Market
- China is expected to be the fastest-growing market in the region during the forecast period, due to an increase in energy demand and natural gas usage in the region. There has been a major increase in the use of gas for power generation in the region, aiming at reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
- Electricity generation from gas in China grew from 34.6 TWh in 2008 to 223.6 TWh in 2018, registering a growth of over 546% in just a decade. The refining capacity of China is also on the rise, with a recent contract for 1 MTA ethylene and refinery expansion project of Sinochem Quanzhou Petrochemical.
- With the rising pollution concerns due to industrialization in the country, the shift toward clean energy generation from gas turbines has gained considerable momentum.
- The country’s aviation industry is also on the rise, with 236.5 billion revenue passenger kilometer flown in the domestic sector in 2008, and with a growth of 235% reaching 800.7 billion revenue passenger kilometer flown in the domestic sector in 2018. This has created a huge market for gas turbine MRO in the country, as almost all of the modern airplanes use gas turbine for motive power for jet propulsion.
- Therefore, the aforementioned factors are expected to drive the market during the forecast period, similar to the trend witnessed in recent years.
The Asia-Pacific gas turbine MRO in power sector market is partially consolidated. Some of the major companies are General Electric, Siemens AG, Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Ltd, and John Wood Group PLC, among others.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support