Industry 4.0 Market is expected to register a CAGR of approximately 20% during the forecast period (2020 - 2025). With the advent of Industry 4.0 in the manufacturing industry, various industrial plants are embracing digital technologies to enhance, automate, and modernize the whole process, hence, improving the performance metrics of the plants.
- The gradual increase in the number of connected devices, combined with the humongous growth in the volume of data from field devices and the changing technology landscape, has made it essential for companies to adapt their products and services to the digital world quickly.
- Moreover, Industry 4.0 has persuaded OEMs to adopt IoT across their operations. Owing to the gradual increase in the adoption of IoT and digital transformation across several industries, the European Commission estimated that the value of IoT in Europe itself is expected to exceed EUR 1 trillion in 2020. Also, Maryville University estimates that by 2025 over 180 trillion gigabytes of data will be created worldwide every year. IIoT-enabled industries will generate a large portion of this.
- For instance, in February 2020, the design and technology services firm Tata Elxsi partnered with group firm Tata Motors for developing a unified, connected vehicle platform. The partnership will aid Tata Motors, which is developing a connected vehicle as a key differentiator to most of its BS-VI range of passenger and commercial vehicles. Also, in March 2020, Siemens started supplying the automation technology for the production of electric vehicles at Volkswagen’s Zwickau plant. Hence, these initiatives, coupled with the trends, are expected to boost the adoption of Industry 4.0 across industries.
- The global coronavirus outbreak is expected to drive the adoption of Industry 4.0 further and improve resilience to future pandemics. This is because, in a pandemic like this, technologies like, automation and robotics, help decrease human dependence and allow the human workforce to safeguard against these threats. It also enhances productivity, hence, preventing the shutdown of plants in a crisis like these.
Key Market Trends
Industrial Robots are Expected to Witness Maximum Adoption
- Industrial robots play a vital role in the digitalization of manufacturing, as it aids in the creation of a virtual and connected ecosystem. Furthermore, it collects data associated with equipment, which is used to enhance the efficiency and scheduling. It also helps in predicting and mitigating any unforeseen error.
- For more organizations, using Industry 4.0 technologies, like robotization, is a part of day-to-day operations. For instance, project and office furniture manufacturer Vepa uses robotization in its warehouse, helping it to double the turnover. It is expected that there would be increased use of collaborative robots in manufacturing.
- According to the International Federation of Robotics, the market for collaborative robots is expected to reach USD 12.3 billion by 2025. Intelligent robots work alongside workers and can be programmed by most factory workers to take on the most routine, tedious tasks, and deliver with accuracy.
- Collaborative robots have become increasingly used in the manufacturing industry, as they are easy to train, and are making workplace environments safer for humans, by taking their place in potentially dangerous situations. According to IFR, the operational stock of industrial robots is expected to reach 3,788 (in thousand units) by 2021 from 2,408 (in thousand units) in 2018.
- Owing to such positive trends in the market, the vendors are entering into strategic partnerships and collaborations to enhance their market presence globally. For instance, in February 2020, AHS (Advanced Handling Systems), a full-service provider of integrated fulfillment, distribution, and robotic solutions, partnered with Mobile Industrial Robots, an autonomous industrial mobile robotic supplier based in Denmark as a Certified Systems Integrator.
North America is Expected to Hold a Dominant Position
- North America is expected to dominate the Industry 4.0 market globally, as the companies in North America are rapidly adopting the concept of smart manufacturing. Industry 4.0 technologies provide improved operational efficiency, enhanced productivity, optimization of costs, and reduction in downtime.
- Most of the factories are already equipped with modern machines and smart factory technology, which will enable the other companies to switch over to smart manufacturing as compared to traditional forms of manufacturing.
- Subsequent growth in the number of SMEs and increasing instances of digitization in manufacturing by large organizations, like IBM and General Electric, are aiding the growth in the adoption of Industrial IoT in the regional manufacturing market. SMEs are becoming increasingly flexible in incorporating new technologies with their existing systems, whereas large manufacturers have heavy budgets for digitization.
The competitive landscape of the Industry 4.0 Market is fragmented due to the presence of several players in the market, such as ABB, Siemens, Schneider Electric, Rockwell, Honeywell, and Robert Bosch, among others. The market players are striving to make product innovations and developments in the market to utilize the growth opportunities presented optimally. This is expected to boost the market presence of these market players.
- January 2020 - The BMW Group plant in Regensburg, Germany, uses technologies like robotics, 3D printing, and smart data analytics, which enabled them to cut the time needed to deploy new applications by 80% and reduce quality issues by 5%.
- November 2019 - Schneider Electric launched its Smart Factory in Bengaluru, which is the second smart factory facility by Schneider Electric in India. The two Smart Factories located in India reinforce the company’s contribution to the Indian government’s Make in India program, which is designed to facilitate investment, foster innovation, enhance skills development and build best-in-class manufacturing infrastructure in the country.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support