This research service focuses on the US DoD spending requests for research, development, test & evaluation (RDT&E), procurement, and operations and maintenance (O&M) categories. The analyst has segmented the budget request by military department and 20 technology areas, such as aircraft, ships, ground vehicles and command and control, communications, computers, intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance (C4ISR).
The research also provides information on contract activity for 2019. The contract activity encompasses Army, Navy/Marine Corps, Air Force, and Joint Services contracts awarded, and lists the analyst’s estimate of the top 10 US DoD contractors based on available government data. The base year for DoD budgets is 2019, and the market forecast is estimated from 2020 to 2025.
Research, new purchases, and services for computers, healthcare, and base operations support are included. Classified budget requests are included, but cannot be broken out into technology areas. Budget requests include base, overseas contingency operations (OCO), and emergency categories.
Products and services that are inherent in new-build tactical ground vehicles, ships, and aircraft platforms are included if distinctly specified by program or modification. Program funding and contract values do not always align year-to-year due to administrative costs, multi-year contracts, and technology use across segments. Program and contract segmentation, large multi-year contract assessment, and funding forecasts for 2020 and beyond are made at the analyst’s discretion.
The purpose of this study is to discuss the 2021 DoD budget request. While the market is mature, there are signs that steady growth and new concepts are ahead, and this study will outline and provide commentary regarding those signs.
- To understand the current state of DoD contract activities
- To understand military operational trends driving the DoD market
- To understand the commercial technology trends impacting DoD users
- Outline some future objectives for DoD spending
KEY ISSUES ADDRESSED
- What are some leading DoD programs?
- Which are some of the DoD contractors in the market?
- Where are the growth opportunities in the DoD market?
- What do the current DoD market and technology landscape look like?
- What activities will be emphasized as the DoD market continues to advance?