The global driving simulator market size is expected to reach USD 6.1 billion by 2027, registering a CAGR of 3.4% over the forecast period, according to a new study by Grand View Research, Inc. Increasing research & development activities focused on developing autonomous vehicles, coupled with growing demand for advanced driving assistance systems, are expected to drive the market in the forecast period. The use of simulators for vehicle testing helps automotive manufacturers to assess the real-time performance of the vehicles in a dynamic but controlled environment.
Driving simulator acts as a training platform for training new as well as experienced drivers for commercial and project-oriented purposes. These machines are used for providing driving lessons ranging from basic to expert levels. Moreover, they help the trainers and the researchers in determining the behaviour patterns of the drivers under several unavoidable circumstances, including sudden braking.
Furthermore, simulators are used across various platforms in the aviation industry to train pilots of commercial aircrafts and helicopters and military aircrafts. These machines are also gaining momentum in the motorsports and gaming industry. Car and bike simulators are increasingly used in gaming zones and arenas as well as amusement parks. They enable higher player engagement in the game, thereby increasing their popularity globally.
Further Key findings from the study suggest:
- The full-scale simulator type segment held a major share of approximately 41% in 2019 owing to its lower cost as compared to other types
- By application, the research and testing segment dominated the driving simulator market in 2019 and is expected to expand at the highest CAGR during the forecast period owing to the advent of autonomous vehicles in the market
- Based on end use, the aviation segment held a major share in 2019 owing to the increased air traffic and growing safety concerns among passengers
- Europe accounted for the largest share in 2019, followed by North America. Presence of major automotive manufacturers is driving the regional market
- Prominent players in the driving simulator market include Thales Group; L3 Technologies Inc.; CAE, Inc.; Bosch Rexroth AG; and Anthony Best Dynamics Limited.