The content of this report will be updated with the latest scenarios based on the global COVID-19 Pandemic
The global histology and cytology market size is expected to reach USD 34.5 billion by 2027 growing at a CAGR of 13.6%, according to a new report by Grand View Research, Inc. Significance for cell-based models in phenotypic assays has increased over the years, mainly targeted towards discovering new disease causative factors while performing an in-depth analysis of disease mechanism and detecting biomarkers with clinical significance. This has fueled the demand for cytological profiling as well as histopathology techniques contributing to the overall growth.
Histology involves microscopic examination of whole tissue samples whereas, cytology includes individualized cellular analysis targeted towards particular disease condition. Cytology is frequently utilized to perform a primary screening of the diseases, based on which the pathologists perform further diagnosis of the patient.
Emerging immunohistochemistry techniques along with the advancements across histology products such as enclosed tissue processors, cryostats, disposable knives, and plastic cassettes is expected to propel market growth. Splurging demand for in-vitro diagnostics is expected to propel the demand for histology among the laboratory professionals.
Further Key findings from the study suggest:
- Cytology accounted for the highest revenue generated in 2019 and is anticipated to maintain this trend throughout the forecast period
- Cervical cancer is the major contributor to the revenue generated in the cytology segment and is anticipated to witness a CAGR of 11.9% from 2020 to 2027
- Consumable and reagents have dominated the global histology & cytology market attributed to their large-scale adoption across various protocols right from tissue acquisition to processing or treatment
- The life sciences end-use segment is set grow at a fastest pace registering a CAGR of 13.9% attributed to increasing employment of digital histology and cytology instruments across oncology and toxicology studies
- North America accounted for the largest revenue share in 2019 owing to sufficient presence of skilled professionals required to maintain the efficacy of these tests
- Asia Pacific is expected to offer lucrative opportunities for market expansion, attributed to rising focus on the development of advanced diagnostic techniques
- International players looking to invest in developing economies of this region have significantly contributed to the projected revenue in this region
- Some of the key market participants are Abbott, Hologic, Inc.; F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd; Becton, Dickinson and Company (BD)
- In the recent years, the market has witnessed pivotal collaborations amongst the participants for the launch of unique solutions
- For instance, in December 2019, F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd collaborated with Fortelinea Software Systems targeted towards co-marketing of software solutions in U.S. This was aimed at enhancing workflow across histology research laboratories in the country.