The content of this report will be updated with the latest scenarios based on the global COVID-19 Pandemic
The Global Cotton Seed Treatment Market is projected to register a CAGR of 9.6% over the forecast period (2020-2025).
- The last decade has seen a dramatic shift in the adoption of genetically modified cotton hybrids. In 2018, the United States planted 5.06 million hectares of GM cotton. In India, almost 92% of the cotton area grows GM cotton. The widespread adoption of GM cotton has resulted in increased usage of cotton seed treatment products in the commerical segment.
- Fungicides are the major category of seed treatment products used in cotton. The major fungal pathogens affecting young cotton plants include Rhizoctonia spp., Penicillium spp., Pythium spp., Fusarium spp., among others.
Key Market Trends
Higher Efficacy Leading to Growth of the Fungicides Segment
Early-stage fungal diseases in cotton can easily be controlled using Seed Treatment. The major fungal pathogens that can be controlled in early-stage cotton include Fusarium, Rhizoctonia, Helmithosporium, Pythium, Phytophthora, and Thielaviopsis. Although insects are the most damaging pests to cotton crop, fungal diseases at the early stages of the crop have found greater control through seed treatment. Some of the most popular fungicides used in the seed treatment of cotton are Azoxystrobin, Difenoconazole, Fludioxonil, Metalaxyl, and Myclobutanil, among others. These fungicides are used mostly in combinations to provide broad-spectrum control to more than one pathogen. The increased efficacy of fungicidal seed treatment products is expected to drive the market for the Fungicide segment of the Global Cotton Seed Treatment Market.
Asia-Pacific Leads the Global Market
India, China and Pakistan are the countries that grow the majority of cotton in the Asia-Pacific region. Cotton is grown over 12.2 million hectare in India. By the year 2014, India had achieved almost 92% penetration of genetically modified cotton. This has led to India being the top cotton producer and raw cotton exporter in the world. The adoption of GM cotton also means that the segment of commercial seed treatment in cotton has grown phenomenally over the review period. The Asia-Pacific market is characterized by the presence of large multinationals as well as smaller regional players active in the market. Companies active in the commercial segment of the market in the region are increasingly focused on providing seed companies with product combinations that provide broad spectrum control to almost all the pathogens and pests that infest cotton for the first 15-20 days of the crop.
The Global Cotton Seed Treatment Market is highly consolidated with the top global players occupying large shares in the market. The greater market shares of these players can be attributed to highly diversified product portfolio and numerous acquisitions and agreements. Moreover, these players are focusing on R&D, expansion of product portfolio, wide geographical presence, and aggressive acquisition strategies. Some of the key players in the market include BASF SE, Syngenta AG, Adama Agricultural Solutions, UPL Limited and Bayer Crop Science, among others.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- Report customization as per the client’s requirements
- 3 months of analyst support