The content of this report will be updated with the latest scenarios based on the global COVID-19 Pandemic
The market for water treatment chemicals in Australia is expected to grow at a CAGR of above 6% during the forecast period. Increasing urbanization and economic development is a major driving factor for the market studied. However, the lack of awareness regarding water treatment processes is acting as a restraining the demand for water treatment chemicals during the forecast period.
- Some of the other driving factors of the market include Increasing Saltwater Intrusion and Adverse Climatic Conditions Spurring the Demand for Fresh Water.
- Shifting focus towards green chemicals is likely to offer a major growth opportunity for the market studied in the coming years.
- Among the product types, corrosion & scale inhibitors accounts for the major market share and is expected to maintain its position during the forecast period.
Key Market Trends
Corrosion & Scale Inhibitors to Dominate the market
- Corrosion inhibitors are general purpose chemicals, applied to deal with corrosion caused in boilers. Corrosion occurs due to the reaction of oxygen with metallic parts in a boiler to form oxides. Corrosion affects the metallic part of the boiler, thereby increasing the cost of energy and maintenance. They act by forming a thin layer of barrier over the exposed parts of the boiler from the water.
- When untreated water is used in the boiler, it brings with it several soluble salts. These remain soluble in cold water. However, with the rise in temperature inside the boiler, the salts become insoluble. Carbonates and bicarbonates are formed from calcium and magnesium chemicals that are dissolved in water. This residue matter gets deposited in the boiler surface and forms a hard coating, which is known as scale. The problem with the scales is that they block efficient heat transfer, create localized heating, increase power consumption and maintenance expense, and occasional boiler failure.
- Corrosion and scale inhibitors are used mostly in boiler and cooling water treatment plants to escape from corrosion. In Australia, these corrosion and scale inhibitors are used by municipal and water authorities, commercial buildings and hospitals, etc., as well as by industrial consumers, such as oil and gas, pulp and paper, mining. These chemicals are a significant part of the energy industry, and the mining and mineral processing industries.
- Hence, owing to the above-mentioned factors, corrosion & scale inhibitors are likely to dominate the market during the forecast period.
Municipal Industry to Dominate the Industry
- The major processes involved in water treatment in the municipal sector include preliminary treatment, primary and secondary treatment, tertiary treatment, biological nutrient removal (BNR), resource recovery, and energy generation, among others. Moreover, municipal wastewater treatment involves a significant quantity of biomass. Therefore, biological treatment is a major step for the treatment of biowastes.
- Australia uses approximately 26,000 giga litre of water per annum, or 1.3 million liters per capita per annum. Australia is the driest inhabited continent on the Earth, and with access to less than 1% of the world’s freshwater resources, the consumption of water in the country is among the highest in the world. Additionally, the growing Australian population leads to an increasing demand for water.
- However, most natural water resources in the country have already reached allocation limits, and to meet the competing water demand in the future, the industry requires innovation and economic valuation of water and co-operation across sectors.
- Hence, owing to the above-mentioned factors, municipal industry has accounted for the major share of the market among the end-user industries and is expected to continue dominating the market during the forecast period.
The Australia water treatment chemicals market is moderately fragmented, with the presence of both regional and global players. Key players in the market studied include Ecolab, Solenis, Kemira, Kurita Water Industries, Ltd., and Suez, among others.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- Report customization as per the client’s requirements
- 3 months of analyst support