The Global Maize Seed Treatment Market is projected to register a CAGR of 8.4% over the forecast period (2020-2025).
- Maize is grown over 197 million hectare worldwide and is the third important cereal crop after rice and wheat. The crop has high degree of penetration of commercial hybrid seeds, including genetically modified seed and farmers adopt advanced farming practices in maize in both developed and developing markets.
- The last three years have seen a widespread incidence of the pest Fall Amyworm in maize. Proper seed treatment can go a long way in protecting young plants against this deadly pest. Companies have also been engaging in R&D to develop products that target Fall Amyworm.
Key Market Trends
Increasing Seed Replacement Rate Leading to Boom in Commercial Segment
Commercial maize hybrids are increasingly becoming popular across the world. Traditionally, North America, Europe and South America have been cultivating commercial maize hybrids for two decades. However, increasing seed replacement rates and adoption of hybrids has shown a remarkable increase in developing markets such as Asia-Pacific and Africa. Seed replacement rates in Asia-Pacific in 2018 stood at close to 80%. Increased adoption of hybrid varieties and penetration of advanced hybrids, including genetically modified varieties have resulted in a booming market for commercial applications of maize seed treatment products. These products are being sold at a B2B level to seed companies. An increase in the number of seed companies selling maize hybrids has also supported the market for commercial applications of maize seed treatment products. The next frontier of hybridization and increased seed replacement rates is Africa, where the metrics related to these are expected to increase at a robust pace over the forecast period.
North America Leads the Global Market
Maize is grown over approximately 35 million hectare in the North American region. It is the most important grain crop in the region with extensive application as grain, animal feed and for forage. Increased adoption of genetically modified and hybrid seeds in the region make the geographical segment the largest among all the regions across the globe. The market is driven by commercial applications, where companies are launching products that satisfy the crop protection needs of the farmer, while keeping sustainability of the soil and the environment in mind. The region is expected to remain the largest geographical segment of the Global Maize Seed Treatment Market over the forecast period.
The Global Maize Seed Treatment Market is highly consolidated with the top global players occupying more than 70% of the market share. The greater market shares of these players can be attributed to highly diversified product portfolio and numerous acquisitions and agreements. Moreover, these players are focusing on R&D, expansion of product portfolio, wide geographical presence, and aggressive acquisition strategies. Some of the key players in the market include BASF SE, Syngenta AG, Adama Agricultural Solutions, UPL Limited and Bayer Crop Science, among others.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- Report customization as per the client’s requirements
- 3 months of analyst support