The Immunosuppressant Drugs Market is expected to register a CAGR of 4.6% during the forecast period. An immunosuppressant is an agent that can suppress or prevent the immune response. Immunosuppressants drugs are used to prevent rejection of a transplanted organ and to treat autoimmune diseases such as type 1 diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, psoriasis/psoriatic arthritis, multiple sclerosis, systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE), inflammatory bowel disease, Addison’s disease, and graves’ disease among others. Commonly used immunosuppressants drugs include tacrolimus, cyclosporine A, glucocorticoids, methotrexate, and rituximab.
Immunosuppressant drugs are used in organ transplantation procedures as anti-rejection drugs to prolong the survival of organ transplants by suppression of rejection processes. There are two types of immunosuppressant namely induction and maintenance drugs, induction drugs used at the time of transplant and maintenance drugs used for the long term. Regular blood tests are necessary to monitor the drug’s action on the body. Immunosuppressant drugs are very powerful drugs and might cause serious side effects such as kidney problems, high blood pressure, and liver disorders.
According to the 2017 report of the International Diabetes Federation (IDF), approximately 425 million adults (20-79 years) were suffering from diabetes, and by 2045 this number may rise to 629 million, globally. Several government organizations and NGOs are working to increase awareness about the socioeconomic impact of autoimmunity through fostering and facilitating collaboration in the areas of education, public awareness, research, and patient services in an effective, ethical, and efficient manner.
Increasing prevalence of autoimmune diseases, rising cases of organ failure and the requirement of organ transplantation and technological advancements in tissue engineering and organ transplantations are the key driving factors in the immunosuppressant drugs market.
Key Market Trends
Calcineurin Inhibitors Segment is Expected to Hold a Major Market Share in the Immunosuppressant Drugs Market
- Calcineurin inhibitors are medicines that inhibit the action of calcineurin which is an enzyme that activates T-cells of the immune system. These inhibitors exert their effects by reducing interleukin-2 production and receptor expression, leading to a reduction in T-cell activation.
- According to the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, autoimmune diseases affect more than 24 million people in the United States. In addition, eight million people have blood molecules, auto-antibodies that indicate a person’s chance of developing an autoimmune disease.
- According to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and Health Resources and Services Administration, more than 113,000 people were in need of transplants as of 2019 and 36,528 transplants were performed in the year 2018.
- Calcineurin Inhibitors segment holds a significant market share in the immunosuppressant drugs market due to its wide applications including utilization in organ transplant recipients and also for the treatment of autoimmune diseases.
- Increasing the prevalence of autoimmune diseases and the rapid rise in the number of organ transplants are the key driving factors in the calcineurin inhibitors segment.
North America is Expected to Hold a Significant Share in the Market and Expected to do Same in the Forecast Period
North America is expected to hold a major market share in the global immunosuppressant drugs market due to the increasing prevalence of autoimmune diseases and the rapid rise in the number of organ transplants in this region. According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), in the year 2017, it was estimated that approximately 19 percent of men and 25 percent of women in the United States had doctor-diagnosed arthritis, in addition, doctor-diagnosed arthritis was prevalent in 16.4 percent of people who were underweight, while 27.7 percent of individuals who were obese. Furthermore, technological advancements in tissue engineering and organ transplantations, increasing healthcare spending coupled with increasing investments in the research and development and presence of well-established healthcare infrastructure is also fueling the growth of the overall regional market to a large extent.
The Immunosuppressant Drugs Market is fragmented competitive and consists of several major players. In terms of market share, few of the major players are currently dominating the market. Some of the companies which are currently dominating the market are Astellas Pharma, Inc, Sanofi (Genzyme), Bristol-Myers Squibb Company, Novartis AG, F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd, Pfizer Inc, GlaxoSmithKline Plc, Allergan Plc, Accord Healthcare Ltd and Mylan Laboratories, Inc.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- Report customization as per the client’s requirements
- 3 months of analyst support