The Egyptian protective coatings market is estimated to witness a significant growth, at an estimated CAGR of over 3%, over the forecast period. Increasing demand from the oil and gas industry expected to drive the market during the forecast period.
- Regulations related to the VOC emissions are likely to hinder the market’s growth.
- Infrastructure segment is expected to dominate the market and is also expected to witness the fastest CAGR during the forecast period.
Key Market Trends
Increasing Demand for Solvent-borne Coatings
- Solvent-based paints are made using liquefying agents that evaporate during a chemical reaction with oxygen. The moving air surrounding a solvent-based coating also helps quicken the reaction, thus reducing drying time.
- The major advantage that solvent-based coatings offer over water-based coatings is that they are less susceptible to environmental conditions, such as temperature and humidity, during the curing phase. In water-based coatings, humidity can prevent the water from evaporating, thereby, making the use of such coatings impractical in many settings.
- The function of organic solvents in a coating is based on the properties they offer. I.e. facilitating the coating’s application, drying, and the formation of a regular coating film. Solvents evaporate during application and drying. Ideally, a dry coating film no longer contains a solvent. However, when the film evaporates, these solvents release VOCs into the atmosphere, which have a toxic impact on the environment.
- The solvent-based coatings market is driven by its growing applications (as coatings for doors, cabinet and furniture, metal doors and railings, industrial equipment and maintenance of steel structures). However, owing to environmental regulations over VOC emissions, attempts are being made to reduce the use of solvent-based coatings. Additionally, the presence of eco-friendly substitutes in the form of water-based coatings has hampered the solvent-based coatings market.
Rising Demand from Infrastructure Segment
- Infrastructure accounts for the one of the largest shares of the Egyptian protective coatings market. Rails, bridges, and roads constitute major segments within the infrastructure sector. With the increase in population, expansions in infrastructure have become an inevitable part of socio-economic development.
- Protective coatings are used in overhead structures, like flyovers and bridges, particularly in refurbishment situations, in order to improve the durability and to delay the replacement in structures. They are used to reduce the damage on the concrete surfaces and to stop or significantly reduce the rate of steel reinforcement corrosion.
- The Egyptian infrastructure is on the verge of a huge changeover. According to the G20’s Global Infrastructure Outlook, Egypt requires about USD 675 billion of additional investment, over the coming 20 years, to meet its rapidly growing infrastructural needs.
- Owing to all the aforementioned factors, the market for protective coatings in the region is projected to grow during the forecast period.
The Egyptian protective coatings market is partially consolidated. Key players in the market include PACHIN, Akzo Nobel N.V., Jotun, Sigma Paints Egypt Ltd (PPG Industries Inc.), and Sipes Egypt, among others.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- Report customization as per the client’s requirements
- 3 months of analyst support