The content of this report will be updated with the latest scenarios based on the global COVID-19 Pandemic
The Europe architectural coatings market is estimated to witness a significant growth, at an estimated CAGR of over 5%, over the forecast period. Recovery of construction sector in Europe and increasing importance of retrofitting and improving efficiency of the existing housing stock built before 1970 are expected to drive the market during the forecast period.
- Rising environmental concerns and regulations and rise in prices of raw materials are likely to hinder the market’s growth.
- Germany is expected to dominate the market and is also expected to witness the fastest CAGR during the forecast period.
Key Market Trends
Rising Demand from Residential Construction
- Paints and coatings are extensively used in the architectural sector, for both exterior and interior applications. Modern advances in paint technology, specifically in the acrylic formulations, have offered a wide range of weatherproof coatings.
- Paints and coatings are applied on the exterior of the house to not only increase its aesthetic appeal, but also to protect it from blistering summers, freezing winters, soaking rain, and the daily bombardment of UV radiation, without fading, peeling away, and cracking.
- However, moisture causes problems for paint. Dew, rain, snow, and ice on the outside, or vapor and moisture buildup from the inside, can cause problems with exterior paint. When moisture penetrates the paint, blisters can form, and the paint may peel. Moisture blisters, unlike temperature blisters, go through all coats of paints down to the wood.
- Additionally, paints and coatings are also used in interiors of houses to add colors, or for decorative purposes, along with a wide range of other functions. Their functions vary, depending upon the type of environment and the room that they are used on.
- For example, due to the moisture, bathroom walls need to have wipe-ability, in order to keep them clean. Paints with glossier sheens have a tighter molecular structure than flat paints, making it more difficult for moisture to penetrate. Thus, these types of paints are used in bathrooms.
- The aforementioned factors have been boosting the demand for architectural coatings, in the recent times.
Germany to Dominate the Market
- The economic growth of the country is affected by the factors, such as trade tensions leading to reduced exports, and tariff disputes triggered by the US government. However, the country is expected to rise from such fluctuations in economic performance over the forecast period.
- According to industry experts, the demand for new houses is estimated to be around 350,000 per year until 2020, which is expected to boost the construction sector. The non-residential and commercial buildings in the country are expected to witness significant growth prospects during the forecast period. The growth is supported by lower interest rates, increase in real disposable incomes, and numerous investments by the European Union and the German Government.
- It is also expected that Germany may spend more on the public infrastructure, and an increase in investments through public-private partnerships at the municipal level.
- The sales/registrations of new vehicles are increasing steadily in the country with improvement in the economy reflecting consumer confidence. This is expected to provide stable contribution to the paints & coatings from the automotive sector.
- On the whole, growing residential and commercial construction activity in the country is expected to drive the market for architectural coatings at a moderate rate in Germany during the forecast period.
The Europe architectural coatings market is consolidated in nature. Key players in the market include Akzo Nobel N.V., PPG Industries, Inc., The Sherwin-Williams Company, Cromology, and DAW SE, among others.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- Report customization as per the client’s requirements
- 3 months of analyst support