The content of this report will be updated with the latest scenarios based on the global COVID-19 Pandemic
The adaptive cruise control (ACC) and blind spot detection (BSD) market is expected to register a CAGR of 15%, during the forecast period, 2020 - 2025.
- The enactment of stringent safety regulations and the increasing vehicle safety concerns among the consumers are expected to drive the market studied.
- According to the World Health Organization, nearly 1.35 million people died annually, due to road accidents in 2018. The cause of these accidents is mostly attributed to the driver’s inability to judge certain conditions and make the right decisions. The efforts of governments to reduce fatalities due to road accidents have led to increased installation of safety systems in new vehicles.
- The growing awareness about vehicle safety has been one of the vital factors in the development of advanced safety systems, such as adaptive cruise control and blind spot detection. On the other hand, the increase in the sales of luxury vehicles across the world is also driving the market for ACC and BSD.
Key Market Trends
Increasing Demand for Blind Spot Detection
The blind spot detection system uses electronic detection devices mounted on both sides of the car (either near the external rear view mirrors or near the rear bumpers). These devices send out either electromagnetic waves (usually in the radar wavelengths) or take images with a digital camera, and analyze them.
When the BSD detects any vehicle coming from the rear, and the driver attempts to steer toward the approaching vehicle, this system warns the driver about the impending impact by flashing a light in the driver’s peripheral vision and/or by making audible sounds. In modern advanced systems, blind spot detections also have an assist feature that steers the car back into the safety zone.
Ford was the first company to introduce blind spot detection in its cars in 2005, under the name of blind spot information system (BLIS). The system uses cameras mounted near the car’s side rear view mirror, which process the images and warns the driver. Nowadays, these cameras have been replaced with radars sensors mounted on the car’s bumpers. Audi’s Side Assist and Infiniti’s Blind Spot Warning (BSW) are some alternate products in the market.
- Infiniti’s Blind Spot Intervention, a system capable of detecting any vehicle in the blind spot and intervening by not letting the driver change the lane until the danger has passed, is considered a major breakthrough in BSD technology.
Apart from the passenger cars, the demand for advanced driver assistance system and collision avoidance system is also increasing in commercial vehicles, especially large trucks. Commercial vehicles are longer and wider than passenger cars, making the blind spots much larger.
- Thus, to enhance safety and eliminate blind spots, companies, in consultation with commercial vehicles manufacturers, are developing blind spot detection systems that are suitable for these vehicles.
- For instance, in October 2017, WABCO launched OnSide Blind Spot Detection System at Management Conference & Exhibition (MCE) 2017, for commercial vehicles and trailers.
More than 90% of the market studied is captured by OEMs, with a limited and unorganized aftermarket for the blind spot detection system. The rising vehicle safety concerns and a growing number of blind spot related accidents are some of the factors driving the market for BSD systems.
Asia-Pacific and North America Driving the Market
The Asia-Pacific region is expected to contribute significantly to the growth of both BSD and ACC markets. Factors, such as increasing vehicle sales, especially premium vehicles, along with the increase in safety installations per vehicle, contribute to the growing demand for BSD and ACC systems. However, in 2018, the bulk market share is captured by North America (occupied around 32% of the total market). The United States New Car Assessment Program (US NCAP), a flagship program of the country’s National High Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), focused on the incorporation of these safety systems, which may reduce the safety-related concerns of buyers. In addition, improvements in the rating system are expected to bring a positive change in the safety features of the vehicles.
The presence of fast-developing countries, like Japan and South Korea, and the safety regulations imposed on vehicles in the region have influenced the market for driving assistance systems significantly. These regulations are as stringent as that of Europe and North America. The improvement in socio-economic conditions in India, Thailand, and Indonesia has created a demand for premium passenger cars segment, thereby increasing the demand for ADAS in these countries.
The rising awareness for driver safety systems is enhancing the market for ADAS-equipped vehicles in this region. The government regulations are compelling the car manufacturers to design their vehicles with advanced ADAS modules. Moreover, the evolution of autonomous cars in this region is creating the opportunity for tier-1 manufacturers to design and deliver ADAS with the latest technologies and user-friendly systems.
Companies, such as Continental AG, Robert Bosch GmbH, Autoliv Inc., Denso Corporation, and Delphi Automotive PLC, are some of the major players in the market. To meet the increasing standards for safety features in the vehicles, major ACC and BSD manufacturers in the market have started investing in R&D activities. For instance, in February 2018, Continental AG invested USD 59 million for building a new R&D center in Queretaro, Mexico. The research staff in the center may focus on developing hardware and software, for various ADAS features. Thus, the automotive market is anticipated to witness improved and advanced safety features, during the forecast period.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- Report customization as per the client’s requirements
- 3 months of analyst support