The automotive navigation system market is expected to register a CAGR of over 7%, during the forecast period, 2020-2025.
- Real-time traffic data, map updates, and smartphone integration have been few primary features of an automotive navigation system that has significantly attracted customer demand over the past three years (2016-2018).
- In addition to this, technological advancements in the navigation system are expected to drive the demand for navigation systems market, during the forecast. For instance, in January 2018, Garmin company partnered with Amazon to integrate Alexa voice-assistant into its navigation systems functionalities.
- However, increasing cyber-security issues and high cost of the navigation system are few factors that are likely to hinder the growth of the market during the forecast period.
- The European automotive industry is leading in terms of production, as well as sales. Europe was the largest market for automotive navigation systems until 2018, followed by Asia-Pacific and North America.
- However, Asia-Pacific is projected to become the key market for the automotive navigation systems, with Japan, India, and China, being the major automotive manufacture hubs during the forecast period.
Key Market Trends
Aftermarket Segment to Witness Considerable Growth
Apart from the factory fitment of navigation system from the OEM side, fitment rate from aftermarket channels is likely to see a considerable rise, during the forecast period.
With the growing e-commerce sector, there is a burden on the e-commerce companies to deliver these products to their customers in time. For this purpose, many e-commerce companies are forming alliances with existing logistic providers for Business to Customer (B2C) delivery.
To cater to the above demand, logistics companies have been expanding their services by getting more vehicles into services. These vehicles have been primarily equipped with satellite navigation systems, in order to reach their customers on time. Furthermore, in order to attract a large number of consumers, these e-commerce companies have introduced ideas, like ’anywhere delivery’, ’same day delivery’, and even, ’same hour delivery’.
Thus, the demand for, and dependence on navigation systems, has been increasing over the past three years, and is likely to continue to rise during the forecast period.
Europe Captured the Major Market Share
In 2019, Europe led the Navigation Systems market with a market share of over 35%, closely followed by North America with 31%. This growth is driven by the increase in partnerships between OEMs and system manufacturers and developing navigation infrastructure.
In Europe, safety and security service is the largest contributor in the automotive market, considering navigation as a safety measure in vehicles. As a result, government authorities are planning to ensure that all cars must be connected with GPS systems. The European Committee for Standardization (CEN) and the European Telecommunications Standards Institute (ETSI) have issued an initial set of standards for cooperative intelligent transport systems. The proposed initiative would require every new car to come equipped with 3G/4G and GPS systems, creating a base for the car navigation systems.
Automakers and tier-1 suppliers in the region have been consistently testing the strength of navigation platform providers in data-based solutions, to develop their own digital services in areas, such as mobility management and navigation technology. For instance, Robert Bosch, partnered with navigation service provider TomTom, to offer digital mapping services to the driverless cars, where not only the auto manufacturers, but also the auto part suppliers are involved in providing GPS services to the vehicles.
Increasing demand for electric vehicles, high penetration of wireless communication technology, and availability of advanced telecom infrastructure are the major factors driving the market for autonomous cars and the dependent navigation systems across the region.
Some of the major players, like Aisin Aw Co. Ltd, Alpine Electronics, Inc., Clarion, Mitsubishi Electric Corporation, DENSO Corporation, Harman International Industries Inc., etc., have captured significant shares in the market.
These companies are focusing to expand their navigation system functionalities with growing technologies, like AI (artificial intelligence) and AR (augmented reality), to capture the increasing demand for advanced navigation systems in vehicles.
For instance, in the new Mercedes-Benz A-Class (MY2019) models, announced in 2018, AR navigation is installed in the MBUX (Mercedes-Benz User Experience) intuitive and intelligent multimedia system, representing a remarkable evolution in in-vehicle infotainment (IVI) systems. The IVI system of Harman International has been updated and improved by integrating Visteon’s "SmartCore" cockpit domain controller in the instrument panel, with the clusters and meters laid out horizontally with two wide displays of the IVI. Similar to a home smart speaker, the IVI system is also equipped with a voice control function that is activated with the words "Hey Mercedes".
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- Report customization as per the client’s requirements
- 3 months of analyst support