The distributed control systems market was valued at USD 18.24 billion in 2019?and is expected to reach USD 26.1 billion by 2025, at a CAGR of 6.22% over the forecast period 2020?- 2025. In the current competitive scenario, the trend for manufacturers in the process industry to deploy the best possible automation technology to gain a competitive edge will drive the distributed control system market in the future.
- Growing adoption for smart applications and IOT technologies are the key drivers for the market. With the increased adoption of smart devices, there is an increase in the demand for multifunctional microelectronics with reduced time delays and improved performance.
- The latest iterations of DCS systems provide marked improvements over their predecessors regarding security, compatibility with the latest technology and operator effectiveness, which is a market driver for distributed control systems market.
- Due to security concerns and increased price competition, the market can have an adverse impact on the long-term profitability of firms, which is a key restraint for the market.
Scope of the Report
A distributed control system is a computerized control system for a process or plant usually with a large number of control loops, in which autonomous controllers are distributed throughout the system, but there is central operator supervisory control.
Key Market Trends
Services Account for the Largest Market Share
- The services market in the DCS industry is the most intriguing of all the revenue stakeholders among the other components included in the scope of the report.
- The services market accounts for the largest share in the DCS market, and is expected to experience the fastest growth over the forecast period on account of an overwhelming growth in the number of service providers in the market.
- The major suppliers in the market continue to emphasize on the improving capabilities for both project services & operations and maintenance services to sustain market growth.
- The different components included in the scope of services covered in the market report include project management services, non-contract maintenance, retrofits and upgrades among others.
- The main automation contractor (MAC) concept is increasingly becoming important in the project services, where the supplier is responsible for all automation-related systems of the project.
- The trend is growing in the majority of the large DCS projects. The services market encapsulates entities from the bottom of the pyramid, i.e. the spare parts and repairs, which prove to be helpful in system productivity, cost curtailment and extension of the product life cycle and systems, by reducing the uptime of production units, thus, efficiently delivering operational excellence.
North America Expected to Account for Significant Market Share
- The rapidly growing shale gas industry in North America is expected to be a major driver of the Distributed Control Systems market in the region.
- The shale gas percentage rose from 1% to 20% between 2000 and 2010 and is expected to reach nearly 45% by 2035. This is expected to result in a parallel growth of the tightly integrated DCS market, which provides sustainability of the process through redundant controls in high-risk environments.
- This market is currently challenged by reducing oil prices globally, but can be relied upon to be a sizeable industry in the future. The requirement of a large amount of water in the Shale gas extraction has created a market for DCS systems in water treatment facilities as well resulting in a significant rise of the overall market.
- The manufacturing industry is witnessing a significant competition from the APAC and Latin America, which may negatively influence the investments into improved and advanced DCS systems.
- Distributed control systems have proven to be vital in the management of nuclear power plants, which is further helping their market in America which is continuously increasing its nuclear power plant capacity and numbers.
The distributed control systems market is highly consolidated, top five players, namely ABB, Honeywell, Siemens, Emerson and Yokogawa accounting for around 60% of the overall market. The recent developments in the market are as follows:
- November 2018 - ABB won an order to supply its ABB Ability Ellipse Asset Performance Management (APM) solution to support Ameren Illinois’ multi-million dollar modernization of the energy delivery infrastructure across their service territory in Illinois.
- November 2018 - ABB provided its Ability Symphony Plus distributed control system (DCS), an integrated automation solution to control the production of China’s first commercially operated concentrated solar power plant.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- Report customization as per the client’s requirements
- 3 months of analyst support