The commercial aircraft in-seat power system market is anticipated to grow at a CAGR of more than 7.5% during the forecast period.
- With the growing passenger traffic, the airlines are incorporating new technologies like personalized entertainment systems, reliable cabin connectivity, in-seat power supply, etc., to enhance the passenger experience onboard. Such cabin improvements are expected to drive the growth of the in-seat power system market during the forecast period.
- The growing demand for Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) concept in the past few years is driving the need to support the passengers (to charge their personal electronic devices) with in-seat power systems. This is accelerating the demand for the in-seat power system.
- The growth of smartphone technology is enabling the customers to charge their phones wirelessly, with this trend picking up pace, the in-seat power supply providers are currently investing into the development of aircraft onboard inductive wireless charging for wireless-enabled devices like smartphones, tablets, and MP3 players.
Scope of the Report
The market study includes various types of power supplies provided in the aircraft seats, such as AC, DC, USB, wireless charging, hybrid models (AC + USB). The study covers both line-fit and retrofitted power supplies onboard.
Key Market Trends
Economy Class Segment to Experience the Highest Growth During the Forecast Period
The economy class segment of the market is anticipated to grow at the highest CAGR during the forecast period. All the airlines around the world are modernizing their cabin interior to enhance the passenger experience. Airlines are opting for new aircraft seats integrated with in-seat over the traditional aircraft seats. For instance, in May 2019, Lufthansa took the delivery of its first Airbus A321neo, which is the first in its fleet to feature an enhanced economy class cabin. Economy class seats are provided by Geven that comes with additional cushioning, increased recline, additional personal space as well as USB power outlets. With such deliveries in the schedule during the forecast period, the demand for in-seat power is anticipated to be boosted. Also, the bring-your-own-device entertainment strategy of airlines has increased the requirement of convenient power access onboard due to which airlines are retrofitting in-seat power systems. Recently in 2019, Astronics launched the EmPower Xpress on-seat USB outlet as a new in-seat power retrofit solution for airlines, which can be attached quickly and directly on the installed seat tubes. This solution offers instant USB charging options with simple maintenance turns. Such developments are anticipated to propel the growth of the market during the forecast period.
Asia-Pacific Region is Expected to Generate the Highest Demand During the Forecast Period
Asia-Pacific region is expected to generate the highest demand for commercial aircraft in-seat power system market during the forecast period. This increasing demand is mainly due to the increasing orders and deliveries of new aircraft, propelled by ever-growing passenger traffic in the region. Along with the new orders, the airlines in the region continue to invest in upgrading and modernizing their seats and related equipment to compliment the services provided to the onboard passengers. As part of modernizing their fleet of narrow-body aircraft, many major airlines have selected Astronics to provide its EmPOWER in-seat power systems for their aircraft. These retrofits are scheduled to be completed by the end of 2025. These modernization plans along with a growing fleet of new aircraft are anticipated to bolster the growth of the region during the forecast period.
The major players in the commercial aircraft in-seat power system market are Astronics Corporation, KID-Systeme GmbH, Imagik International Corp, Mid-Continent Instrument Co. Inc., and Inflight Canada Inc. Astronics Corporation holds a major share in the market as it provides in-seat power systems for commercial aircraft manufactured by Boeing, and Airbus. With high brand value and innovative products, Astronics is being selected by many major airlines to retrofit their seats with Astronics in-seat power systems. For instance, Astronics Advanced Electronic Systems (AES) introduced a new USB Type-C In-Seat Power System as a part of its EmPower System product line in April 2018. Later in September 2019, the company’s USB Type-C charging system along with 110VAC and USB Type-A in-seat power systems were installed on EL AL Airlines’ Boeing 737-800 fleet. Additionally, the company has introduced wireless charging modules onboard commercial aircraft. However, other players are also rapidly expanding their product portfolio to increase their global footprints in the years to come.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- Report customization as per the client’s requirements
- 3 months of analyst support