The content of this report will be updated with the latest scenarios based on the global COVID-19 Pandemic
The apron bus market is anticipated to register a CAGR of over 10% during the forecast period.
- Boarding is one of the major processes of aircraft turnaround time and has a direct influence on the airline companies’ costs. Apron bus is the best alternative at some airports in transporting passengers from the aircraft to the terminal building or vice-versa. Faster boarding processes are vital for airlines as they always strive to enhance passenger satisfaction.
- The increasing air passenger traffic and the corresponding growth in airline fleet is the main driver for the market. Also, airport boarding bridges are not always available for all aircraft, which necessitates the use of apron buses.
- Several airlines in order to reduce the emission at the airport are adopting electric apron buses to replace their aging diesel engine-powered buses. In order to dominate the market, bus manufacturers are shifting towards all-electric buses.
- Construction of new airports is expected to further generate demand for apron buses during the forecast period.
Key Market Trends
Electric Segment is Expected to Register the Highest CAGR During the Forecast Period
Airports and airlines are striving to reduce their carbon footprint by adopting advanced technology and systems. Of the total emissions at the airport, ground support vehicles like tugs and tractors, and buses ferrying passengers between the terminal and the aircraft also contribute significantly. Airlines and airports in order to achieve carbon neutrality are replacing aging diesel engine-powered buses with new electric buses. Electric buses offer advantages like ease in operation, low-maintenance, and most importantly zero-emission. Several airports across Europe were successful over the past decade in achieving or reducing their carbon footprint. As airports across the globe try to reduce global aviation emissions by half over the next three decades, the electric bus segment will experience accelerated growth in the coming years.
Europe and North America Together is Estimated to Account for a Major Share in Apron Bus Market in 2018
Several airports in Europe and North America in order to reduce their carbon footprints have been replacing their diesel or gas-powered apron buses with emission-free electric buses over the past few years. Some of the European airports that operate apron buses are Munich, Pisa, Frankfurt, Madrid, London Luton, and Amsterdam Schiphol among others. In July 2018, two units of VIVAIR manufactured by TAM-EUROPE were delivered to TCR in Spain. The new TAM vehicles are being operated at the Gran Canaria Airport, Spain. Also, in June 2018, two 104WL buses were delivered to Pula Airport, Croatia by TAM-EUROPE. Earlier in December 2018, Port Authority announced its plan to introduce 18 new all-electric buses to its three major airports by the mid of 2019. The Port Authority plans to replace all the 36 diesel-powered shuttles over the next 2-3 years. Six electric buses were delivered in 2019 each for John F. Kennedy International Airport, Newark Liberty, and LaGuardia airport. The programs also include the installation of new charging stations at each facility. However, during the forecast period, the majority of demand for the new apron buses will be generated from the Asia-Pacific region due to the opening of new airports in the next few years.
The apron bus market is dominated by a few established players. Some of the prominent players in the market are COBUS Industries GmbH, YUTONG, Xinfa Airport Equipment Ltd., and TAM - EUROPE, among others. The market is highly competitive as the players look to receive new contracts from airlines or airports. Also, the construction of new airports and the replacement of aging buses will offer new opportunities for the players. Bus manufacturers in order to gain new contracts are expanding their product portfolio by introducing new buses with advanced features. Globally, as the airlines look to reduce their carbon footprint, bus manufacturers are also shifting towards electric apron buses with increased space for passengers and their baggage.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- Report customization as per the client’s requirements
- 3 months of analyst support