The Aircraft Lighting Market is expected to record a CAGR of 5.07% over the forecast period (2020 - 2025). Lighting is a very important consideration from a passenger’s point of view. In fact, it can make a big difference to the cabin environment aiding in boosting the overall travel experience and ensuring passenger comfort.
- The aircraft lighting market is expected to witness significant growth during the forecast period, owing to the growth of the aircraft industry and increasing frequency of air travel. According to Airbus, the company delivered 800 aircrafts in 2018. In 2018, the aircraft orders of Airbus were valued at around EUR 55.5 billion, which were comprised of mainly commercial aircraft orders.
- Growing demand for energy-efficient lighting systems is one of the major factors driving the demand for LED lighting in aircraft. LED lighting technology offers improved reliability and longer life. This keeps aircrafts flying with low maintenance, resulting in lesser operating costs and fewer delays in flight operations.
- Companies are adopting LED lighting for aircraft to offer passengers with the most enjoyable and memorable journey. For instance, in 2018, Spanish low-cost carrier Volotea adopted 45 full-color liTeMood LED cabin lighting systems from STG Aerospace. The liTeMood LED lighting delivers a reduction in power usage of 55%.
Scope of the Report
Aircraft lighting provides illumination for interior and exterior use. Aircraft in the study include airplanes, jets and helicopters. Lights on the exterior impart illumination for such operations as landing at night, safety from a mid-air collision. Interior lighting offers illumination for cockpits, cabins, instruments and other sections occupied by crew members and passengers. Some different lights, like the indicator and warning lights, indicate the operation status of equipment.
Key Market Trends
Interior Light is Expected to Hold a Significant Share
- The demand for the interior light in the aircraft is estimated to grow rapidly over the forecast period owing to the upgradation of existing aircraft lighting with LED technology. With LED technology, airlines can look forward to the extended lifespan and increased the power efficiency of lighting systems. The lifespan of an LED bulb is estimated to be around 50,000 to 60,000 hours.
- LEDs are also offering new opportunities for mood lighting in the cabin, which is the next big opportunity to keep driving market interest. This lighting system offers a simulated lighting environment, changing the lighting spectrum from day to night. Lighting schemes provide several variants to help fliers relax during the flight. Companies such as STG Aerospace has been working with some cabin integrators and MROs to develop optimal drop-in LED lighting upgrades for airplane cabins.
- Manufacturers are increasingly adopting LED products as they reduce maintenance costs. For instance, Airbus is expanding the use of full LED cabin lighting. When compared to traditional fluorescent tube lighting, LED used in Airbus’ cabin light-emitting diode units reduces weight by 30%, consumes 50% less power and lasts three times longer.
North America is Expected to Hold the Largest Share
- The increasing frequency of air travel, rising demand for wide-body aircraft, and the need to enhance the experience of the passengers is driving the demand for the aircraft lighting market in North America. The region is home to some of the leading manufacturers in the aerospace sector, such as Boeing and Lockheed Martin, among various others. According to Boeing, the United States is the most important market for the company, as it accounts for around 44% of its overall revenue.
- As good lighting ensures more efficiency, less cost, and fewer replacements, aircraft manufacturing companies in the region such as Boeing adopted LED lights to obtain both aesthetics and efficiency. Moreover, the government of the US is engaging in the promotion of LED lighting products by providing incentives on these products.
- In 2018, the Federal Aviation Administration approved Astronics’ next-generation LED landing and taxi lights for use on any commercial aircraft. These next-generation lights approved to bring improved reliability and long life operation to commercial and business aircraft. Thus, the widespread use of LED lighting in aircraft is projected to offer ample opportunities for the growth of the aircraft lighting market, owing to the region’s focus on energy savings.
The aircraft lighting market is highly competitive and consists of several major players. With companies aiming to gain more market share, they are continuously investing in introducing new products, expanding their operations, or entering into strategic mergers and acquisitions as a part of their competitive strategy.
April 2019 - Collins Aerospace, a unit of United Technologies Corporation launched a new LED reading light to offer longer-life solutions with greater weight savings. This LED reading light is a small reading and dome light that works simultaneously with the cabin lighting system to create scenes that add to the general cabin.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- Report customization as per the client’s requirements
- 3 months of analyst support