The content of this report will be updated with the latest scenarios based on the global COVID-19 Pandemic
The packaging automation market was valued at USD 57.8 billion in 2019?and is expected to reach USD 109.49 billion by 2025, at a CAGR of 10.1% over the forecast period 2020?- 2025. Over the last few decades, production lines across the globe have undergone significant transformation with the advent of automation and robotics. High levels of competition and growing focus on reducing the turnaround time have prompted manufacturers across the globe towards automation, in a bid to retain high levels throughput and efficiency.
- The industries are focusing on gaining a higher cost realization by achieving higher efficiency and cost reduction in the overall operation. Labor wage is one of the large chunks of expense for any manufacturer. The trend toward less staff per line has been driving the need for intuitive control units, such as Human & Machines (HMI), to Interact with multi-touch. Hence, by adopting packaging automation systems, manufacturers gain efficient and cost-effective packaging solutions.
- Companies are now adopting industry 4.0, and it is coupling with the rise in need of supply chain integration. Due to its ability interacting with the stakeholders and the optimization of complicated logistics schedule, manufacturers are moving towards packaging automation solutions.
- However, the advantages in adopting the packaging automation systems are significant and driving the market, but the requirement of higher initial capital is restricting smaller organizations for its adoption.
Scope of the Report
The scope of the study for packaging automation market is limited to hardware solutions of different applications used in a wide range of industries globally. The software solutions and after sales servicing is not considered for market estimation.
Key Market Trends
Pharmaceutical Industry to Show Significant Growth
- Pharmaceutical industry is now more investing towards the packaging automation solutions to improve the production efficiency. According to The Evolution of Automation, produced by PMMI, less than 50% of the pharmaceutical and medical device companies have inline integration. Hence, there is a huge opportunity for packaging automation vendors in the pharmaceutical industry.
- A recent study by FDANews stated that around 80% of the deviations observed could be attributed to human error. Also, in the USA, 90% of the prescription have generic drugs but only generates 28% of the revenue of the pharmaceutical revenue resulting in increasing demand for small batch production. With the packaging automation, consistent quality even for small batch production can be achieved.
- The adoption of industry 4.0 in the pharmaceutical industry has shown significant growth. Due to its ability for continuous process control for all the operations, including packaging provides analytical insights and helps in drawing quicker decision where attention is needed and reduces human interventions.
- According to the report by the Italian Packaging Machinery Manufacturers Association in 2018, the filling and FFS type of pharmaceutical packaging machinery together covers more than 65% share.
North America to Hold a Major Market Share
- Due to the high penetration of packaging machinery in the region, North America accounts for a significant market share. The formation of the ’Advanced Manufacturing Partnership (AMP)’ is an initiative undertaken by the United States, to make the industry, universities, and the federal government invests in emerging technologies. This initiative has helped the country gain a competitive edge in the global economy by investing in packaging equipment used in the final line of production.
- The country also boasts of a strong export base of packaging machinery, which has contributed to its growth. Companies, like Bosch Packaging Services, have expanded their businesses by investing in various packaging sectors, such as confectionery, bakery, fresh food, frozen food, and pharmaceutical.
- The labor wage is one the largest expense for any business. Also, in 2018, According to the Economy Policy Institute (EPI), the minimum wage rose by in the US rose by 2.6%, which is the highest growth since 2008. Hence, the business organizations are pushed to comprise in its margin with the high competition in their market. The packaging automation enables the reduction in required labor hours for packaging and streamlines the process.
- The increasing pace of competition is forcing manufacturers to take steps, in order to reduce costs of their packaging processes, thus opting for automation.
The market concentration is high as a significant share of the market lies with the major market players. Innovation in the market requires the developers to have a better understanding of the industrial process to deliver a suitable solution and also drives close collaboration among the stakeholders during development, customization to suit the end users need.
- March 2019 - WestRock announced the acquisition of packaging machinery firm Linkx Packaging. With this acquisition, WestRock has expanded its portfolio from a leading provider of differentiated paper and packaging solutions. Linkx specializes in automated packaging machinery ranging from single-order dispatch systems to fully integrated automation.
- March 2019 - Bosch launched the Pack 403. It is the first next-generation machine by Bosch is a successor of Pack 401 and is fully-automated horizontal flow wrapper for medium to high-speed wrapping. The Pack 403 is designed to produce up to 800 packages per minute at a film speed of 90 metres.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- Report customization as per the client’s requirements
- 3 months of analyst support