The Global Specialty Sweetener Market is projected to grow at a CAGR of 5.5% during the forecast period of (2019-2024).
- The market is primarily driven by extensive application spectrum of specialty sweeteners across various end-user sectors. The increasing health concerns and negative consumer opinions about sugar and other high calories have brought high-intensity natural sweeteners and polyols on a center-stage. This trend is expected to remain strong during the forecast period.
- Based on the type, natural sweeteners are expected to witness higher growth rates owing to their clean label claims, however, the sensory profiles associated with these ingredients continue to remain a formulation challenge for manufacturers and processors.
- The growth in demand for specialty sweeteners in industrial and non-industrial applications and changing consumer preferences have accelerated its growth in the North American market.
Scope of the Report
The specialty sweetener market is segmented by type as starch sweeteners and sugar alcohols, and high-intensity sweeteners (HIS). Starch sweeteners and sugar alcohols include dextrose, HFCS, maltodextrin, sorbitol, xylitol, others. The other starch sweeteners and sugar alcohols include glucose syrup, glucose-fructose syrup, fructose-glucose syrup, isoglucose, fructose, mannitol, maltitol, erythritol, lactitol, isomalt. High-Intensity sweeteners include sucralose, aspartame, saccharin, cyclamate, ace-k, neotame, stevia and others. The other HIS includes glycyrrhizin, mogroside V, Luo Han Guo, thaumatin, monatin. By application as dairy, bakery, beverages, confectionery, soups, sauces and dressings and others.
Key Market Trends
Robust Demands From End-user Industries
The new product development in the food and beverage industry is trending in the favor of ingredients that have clean-label claims and that have a host of healthful benefits. The graphical representation of sugar substitutes consumption is an encouraging trend that is expected to drive the specialty sweeteners market – although the end-user industries are still in the quest of finding ideal sugar-replacement, the current practice is to adopt the blending approach in order to fulfill taste and functionalities associated with sweetening agents. The new product innovation particularly in snacking and confectionery categories have also highlighted the growing importance of specialty sweeteners, the robust regulatory initiatives coupled with pressure from consumer groups have led manufacturers to incorporate specialty sweeteners in their formulations at a level that has been unprecedented.
Asia-Pacific is the Largest Market for Specialty Sweeteners Market
This growth is due to increased awareness and usage of dietary foods. Another major driver is the growing population of overweight, obese, and diabetic patients which is resulting in growth in this category. India is now infamously referred to as the diabetic capital of the world. The sugar disease is posing an enormous health problem to the country. India has been witnessing an alarming rise in the incidence of diabetes according to the International Journal of Diabetes in Developing Countries. The fundamental cause of diabetes is attributed to adiposity (obesity) and this energy imbalance is very prominent, especially in urban India. Going by the official World Health Organization (WHO) estimates, there is a whopping 100% growth in diabetic patients in India in the last 15 years. Aspartame and sucralose are the most famous sweeteners in the HIS segment. Stevia is also seeing a major demand in the natural sweeteners category.
Continuous innovation to introduce modified specialty sweeteners with functional benefits is the key competitive factor in the market. The key global players have thus intensified their R&D efforts along with channelizing greater funds in branding and marketing efforts. Major players in the market are Cargill. Inc., Pure Circle Ltd, Ingredion and Tate & Lyle.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- Report customization as per the client’s requirements
- 3 months of analyst support