The polymerization catalysts market is anticipated to register a CAGR of more than 5% during the forecast period. Organometallic catalysts play a vital role in the polymerization of olefins, dienes, and styrene. The chemical industry is using these catalysts for the production of increasing amounts of plastic materials. Catalysts, such as metallocenes, half-sandwich, nickel, and iron complexes, are able to tailor the microstructure of the polymer chain.
- With the expansion of polymer resin production and a rise in the availability of the petrochemical raw materials, the demand for catalysts required for polymerization is increasing, thereby augmenting the growth of the market.
- Consistent technological advancements catering to the growing demand are projected to act as opportunities for the market in the future.
Key Market Trends
Increasing Demand for the Zeigler-Natta Catalysts
- Ziegler-Natta catalysts are mixtures of halides of transition metals, especially titanium, vanadium, chromium, and zirconium, with organic derivatives of non-transition metals, particularly alkyl aluminum compounds. There are two main classes of Ziegler-Natta catalysts, distinguished by their solubility.
- These catalysts have multiple types of active sites, each one producing a different polymer chain. This enables the production of a wide variety of polymers with considerable control over the tacticity, as well as molecular weight, and is the reason why Ziegler-Natta catalyst is preferred over most other catalysts.
- Most commercial HDPE and LLDPE grades are made using Ziegler-Natta or Phillips catalyst. Around 90% of global LLDPE is manufactured using heterogeneous Ziegler-Natta catalysts. It is also used in the production of polypropylene (PP) of higher isotacticity.
- Zeigler-Natta catalysts have the maximum market share in catalysts used for polyolefins manufacture. Geographically, Asia-Pacific has the highest market share in consumption of Ziegler-Natta catalysts.
- All the aforementioned factors are expected to drive the global market during the forecast period.
The Asia-Pacific Region is Expected to Dominate the Market
- The Asia-Pacific region is expected to experience robust polymerization catalysts growth, owing to the increasing consumption of polyolefins in countries, like China and India.
- The range of Chinese goods includes cement, chemicals, textiles, toys, electronics, ships, rail cars, automobiles, aircraft, and many other products. Polyolefins, such as polyethylene and polypropylene, are widely used in the production of these products. Thus, China has become a principal location for the manufacturers and exporters of plastic products.
- China is a major producer and consumer of polyolefin in the world.
- Furthermore, India is planning to have 18 plastic parks and the government may be investing around USD 6.2 million in the upcoming years for increasing the domestic production of plastics.
- All such factors are expected to increase the market for polymerization catalysts in the Asia-Pacific region.
The polymerization catalysts market is partially fragmented in nature. Few of the major players currently dominate the market, in terms of market share. Some of the key players include Clariant AG, China Petrochemical Corporation (Sinopec), W R Grace & Co., LyondellBasell Industries Holdings BV, Mitsui Chemicals Inc., BASF SE, and Honeywell International Inc., among others.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- Report customization as per the client’s requirements
- 3 months of analyst support