The market is mainly driven by growth in standby applications for data centres used by banks and technology companies. Increasing integration of renewable energy sources into the energy mix and grid-strengthening efforts across Europe will help support market growth. Furthermore, infrastructure investment mainly in Eastern Europe and Spain is expected to increase future demand for diesel gensets.
The highest growth is expected in the 3-5 MW power output range primarily due to increased uptake in data centres across Europe. Growth in the 150-300 kW medium power genset market is driven by the continued infrastructure and commercial investments across the continent.
The imposition of stricter environmental emission regulations across Europe is expected to subdue the future growth of the diesel genset market. Additionally, increasing competition with other sources of power such as gas-based genset and storage are expected to limit future growth.
The European diesel genset market is expected to amount to $1.10 billion growing at a CAGR of 0.7% by 2025. Market trends have been analyzed for the study period between 2017 and 2025, with the base year being 2018. The study covers all countries in continental Europe including Norway and Switzerland. The data centre end-user segment is expected to demonstrate strongest growth in the market during the forecast period.
The study assesses genset companies across Europe and discusses the market shares held by the companies in this market. The key participants in the European diesel genset market include Caterpillar, Cummins, MTU, Kohler-SDMO, Himoinsa, Generac, and Visa. Fierce competition is expected, especially in Eastern Europe, from Chinese and Turkish participants that offer cheaper products.
Key issues addressed
- Is the European diesel genset market growing, how long will it continue to grow, and at what rate?
- What are the key drivers and restraints affecting the market?
- How does the market vary between various power ranges for the different countries in Europe?
- What are the revenue and unit shipment forecasts for the key regions of Europe?
- What are the key applications for the diesel genset market in different European countries?
- How are the growth trends for diesel genset different in various countries?