5G, or the fifth generation of mobile technology standards, is a key driver for the financial model of the mobile industry. The technology that underpins 5G promises to greatly expand the amount of data that can be processed using mobile devices. Its applications will range from smart phones with augmented and virtual reality capability, to Internet of Things devices capable of massive and mission-critical realtime transactions.
Nevertheless, the journey to full implementation of 5G, which is expected to take at least 10 years, is fraught with challenges for industry participants. Standards within each technology area within 5G are awaiting agreement as well as technical feasibility demonstrated by mobile operators, software and hardware suppliers. Regulatory regimes, which need to address spectrum shortages and economic imbalances, will play a major role.
Moreover, the mobile industry is forging ahead with investments and marketing declarations. Industry participants, especially mobile network operators, are motivated by the declining opportunities for growth from 4G technology rollouts that are complete in most developed regions. While 4G has brought mobile technology into a new age of video streaming and data services, the saturation of the subscriber base and competition among mobile operators is limiting the revenue that can be obtained.
While mobile network capital expenditures overall will remain flat or average only a REDACTED% increase over the next five years on service revenue that will rise at only REDACTED%, the revenue hardware, software and services companies in the mobile industry can expect from 5G will grow at near READACTED%.
The scope of this report covers the overall 5G technologies market with market sizing and trends analysis for the most recently completed actuals for 2018, as well as forecasts, trends and compound annual growth rates (CAGRs) for 2018 through 2023. Specific segments within this scope are as follows:
- 5G Technologies
The report will also segment revenue by end-use in terms of:
- Enhanced Mobile Broadband
- Internet of Things
The industry sector applications revenue covered will be:
- Mobile Operators
- 28 data tables
- An overview of the global markets for 5G technology and applications
- Analyses of global market trends, with data from 2017, estimates for 2018, and projections of compound annual growth rates (CAGRs) through 2023.
- In-depth analyse of 5G R&D investment, limitation of 5G technology and networks, descriptions of major types of 5G markets, and 5G's impact on device sales
- Analyses of market opportunities, including ecosystem architecture, network planning and impact, service design and ROI impact, and 5G stakeholders and key strategies
- Coverage of the 5G patent initiative and standardization initiatives by industry forums, regional governments, and 5G field trial activities
- Company profiles of major key players in the market, including Apple Inc., Arista Networks, AT$T Inc., Cisco Systems, Ericsson AB, Fujitsu, Google Inc., Intel Corp. and Qualcomm Inc.