Growing consumer preference for convenient technologies is likely to result in doubling the take rate of level 2 automated driving enabled vehicles in 2016. In 2017 significant investments are likely by Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) in areas of artificial intelligence and cognitive cloud computing solutions that can enable them achieve level 4/5 autonomous driving in the next 5 years. Retrofitted automated driving solutions and AD deployment in shared mobility (taxi) platforms are expected to grow phenomenally. Perception improvement sensors such as mechanical LiDARs are expected to penetrate at a strong pace into autonomous test programs in 2017 as the progress of solid-state LiDAR diminishes.
A few key questions this study intends to answer are as below.
- What are the top trends that will drive the automated driving market in 2017? What impact will these trends have on the market?
- What are the key developments in the automated driving market to watch out for in 2017? What are the companies to watch in 2017?
- What was the size of the total automated driving market in 2016; how is it expected to grow in 2017 and by 2025?
- What is the impact of regulatory and macroeconomic trends on market growth?
- What are the opportunities available for automated driving vendors (OEMs, disruptors, suppliers, and startups) in 2017?
The journey from merely human-operated cars to completely autonomous ones is not a sudden leap, but is a gradual progression. Pioneering semi-automated vehicles is an important milestone toward achieving level 5 automated vehicles. Start-ups and technology leaders are driving fast-tracked innovation in automated vehicle technologies, thereby forcing OEMs, technology providers, and disruptors to partner, acquire, or upgrade Research and Development (R&D) to contend.