Monday 9 April 2018, Amsterdam
According to a new market intelligence report, now available on ASDReports, titled ‘Global Silicon Germanium Materials & Devices’, the global silicon germanium materials & devices market is expected to reach $5,045.3 million by 2021. This growth is highly attributed to the increasing requirement for huge data transfer, high applicability in wireless communication systems and rising demand from automotive sector for sophisticated sensors and radar systems. Moreover, the rapid penetration of IoT technology in the telecom, consumer electronics and auto industry, has led to an increased growth in the SiGe market. Apart from that, emerging opportunities in the 5G networking systems and autonomous driving electronics are expected to create huge impact on the SiGe market growth, during the forecast period.
SiGe HBT technology was initially industrialized by IBM in the early 90s for the high-end computing and communications market. SiGe technology is the propelling factor behind the advancement of low-cost, lightweight, communications devices, and automobile collision avoidance systems. By the incorporation of SiGe technology, device performance attributes such as low-noise, high yield, smaller size, high-durability and temperature resistance, are enhanced. These multifunction, cost-effective and advanced features of SiGe materials allow them to be used in varied end-markets.
SiGe materials are highly competitive with the GaAs semiconductor materials, providing a cost and integration advantage Silicon germanium technology is expanding into varied end-markets such as telecommunications, computers, consumer electronics, automotive and military and aerospace. New developments in silicon germanium market such as expansion of bandwidth, high frequency applications and thermoelectric capabilities is expected to further boost the commercialization process. Moreover, rapid expansion of internet, high mobile adoption and growth in the global autonomous driving industry are the major opportunities lined up in the silicon germanium market in coming future.
According to Sonali Mazumdar, analyst at BIS Research, “Telecommunication & computer end-user segment dominated the silicon germanium devices market, accounting for a share of 57.3% of the total revenue generation. Rising demand of high speed data transfer, continuous product innovation based on silicon germanium technology and huge amount of investments being made by government particularly in data communication are some of the key factors driving the segmental market. However, during the forecast period, automotive segment is expected to create the largest growth opportunities for SiGe materials & devices, driven by the increasing growth in the automated driving sector.”
The silicon germanium materials & devices market encompasses a wide array of material types such as source materials, substrates and epitaxial wafers; and devices such as wireless devices, RF devices and fiber optic transceivers. Innovative expansions in the field of microelectronic and optoelectronic devices, photovoltaic (PV) cells, and power devices have resulted into an unprecedented growth in the silicon germanium based materials & devices market over the last decade.
Epitaxy of germanium with silicon substrates and wafers has evolved as a cost-effective solution for the semiconductor industry owing to its narrow pseudo-direct gap behavior and compatibility with Si technology. Wireless devices segment was the largest revenue generator for the year 2016, followed by radio frequency and global positioning devices and fibre optic transceiver.
Asia Pacific generated the highest revenue in the year 2016. Large market share has been attributed to the increased demand for smartphones, tablets, digital televisions, wireless communication infrastructure, computers and electro-medical devices in the region. Increasing digitization of consumer electronics goods along with advent of mobile broadband and wireless communication systems is expected to further propel the regional silicon germanium materials & devices market during the forecast period. Countries like China, Singapore and Malaysia are expected to exhibit the maximum growth over the forecast period. These countries are witnessing massive expansion in the terms of adaptation of advanced silicon technologies and fast-paced growth in various end-markets like telecom, computer, consumer electronics and automotive.
IBM, Infineon Technologies, NXP Semiconductors, Texas Instruments, TowerJazz, IQE Plc, MACOM, TSMC, Hitachi, RIBER, GlobalFoundries, Toshiba and Aixtron, among others, are some of the key players operating in this market. The major established players in the market are focusing on product launches and developments to introduce new technologies or developing further on the existing product portfolio. In August 2017, TowerJazz announced the development of SiGe Terabit platform-based specialty RF and high-performance analog (HPA) manufacturing processes for specific applications including IoT, 5G cellular infrastructure, and autonomous driving.
This report is a meticulous compilation of research on more than XX players in the silicon germanium materials & devices ecosystem and draws upon the insights from in-depth interviews with the key opinion leaders of the leading companies, market participants, and vendors. The report also profiles 19 companies which include Aixtron, Analog Devices, Applied Materials, Atmel, GlobalFoundries, Hitachi, IBM, IHP Microelectronics, Infineon Technologies, IQE Plc, MACOM, NXP Semiconductors, RIBER, Skyworks Solutions, STMicroelectronics, Texas Instruments, TowerJazz, TSMC and Toshiba.
Key questions answered in the report:
• What was the size, in terms of value ($million) of the silicon germanium materials & devices market in 2016, and what will be the growth rate during the forecast period, 2017-2021?
• What are different materials & devices being supplied by the key players in the silicon germanium materials & devices market?
• What was the revenue generation of silicon germanium materials & devices market for different end-uses in 2016, and what is their growth prospect?
• What is the market size of different materials and devices, in terms of value and their respective growth prospects and key developments?
• What is the silicon germanium materials & devices market size for different regions, on the basis of various types and end-users?
• What are the key trends and opportunities in the market, pertaining to the countries included in different geographical regions?
• How attractive is the market for different stakeholders present in the industry by analyzing the futuristic scenario of silicon germanium materials & devices market?
• What are the major driving forces that tend to increase the demand for silicon germanium materials & devices market during the forecast period?
• What are the major challenges inhibiting the growth of the global silicon germanium materials & devices market?
• What kind of new strategies are being adopted by the existing market players to expand their footprint in the industry?
• What is the competitive strength of the key players in the silicon germanium materials & devices market by market share analysis?
• Who are the key market players in the market, along with their detailed analysis & profiles (including company snapshots, their financials, key products & services, and SWOT analysis)