The content of this report will be updated with the latest scenarios based on the global COVID-19 Pandemic
"Category Packaging Opportunities: Meals and Meal Components", explores new packaging formats and value-added features in the meals and meal components categories, using examples from GlobalData’s Pack-Track innovation tool.
With a huge and varied selection of products on the retail shelf, it can be difficult for brand owners to offer something unique to consumers. Packaging is a key element that can provide differentiation and important added-value benefits that can give a more premium feel to appeal to consumers looking to "treat" themselves. By using packaging to improve convenience and functionality it is possible to adapt to changing lifestyles and meet the needs of busy consumers.
Greater awareness of packaging sustainability and the current "war on plastic" mean that consumers expect brand owners to act responsibly towards the environment and we are starting to see more eco-friendly packaging formats. We have used GlobalData’s Pack-Track packaging innovation tool to identify new packaging developments within the meal and meal component categories, and this report discusses special features and benefits of examples we like, and how they fit in with current consumer trends within GlobalData’s TrendSights framework.
Key Questions Answered
- What drives packaging innovations in meals and meal components?
- What notable new formats and value-added features have been introduced in these categories in recent years?
- Which consumer trends have these packaging innovations capitalized on?
- How can meals and meal components manufacturers use packaging to stay ahead of the game in a crowded marketplace?
- The call for improved environmental sustainability means that easily recyclable, compostable, or biodegradable packaging materials are on the rise. Packaging solutions that allow in-pack cooking, hassle-free meal preparation, and easy consumption are vital to meet the needs of busy consumers, while smaller pack sizes and portion packs are being introduced due to a growing number of single-person households.
- Premiumization through packaging results in a perceived "better" quality and helps consumers justify the extra cost of trading up.
Reasons To Buy
- Use GlobalData’s Category Packaging Opportunities reports to inspire innovation.
- Understand the relevant consumer trends that drive and support innovation so you can tap into what is really impacting the industry.
- Appreciate the importance of packaging in the overall consumer experience of a product and how this can help to drive brand loyalty.