The content of this report will be updated with the latest scenarios based on the global COVID-19 Pandemic
Consumers are under mounting pressure to look their best due to standards set by the media and celebrities, as well as the pervasive nature of image-based social media platforms. A "status currency" persists, whereby importance is attributed to one’s image and status in society, which can be depicted through one’s appearance, purchasing decisions, and brand affiliations. Consumers even view brands as an extension of themselves, prompting firms to play close attention to the values and aspirational traits their products and services align with.
Furthermore, the perceived relationship between looking and feeling one’s best is strong, which is driving an interest in leading a healthy lifestyle complete with a nutritious diet and regular exercise. The belief that this can contribute toward achieving appearance-related goals - whether these be weight loss, muscle gain, or skin improvement - is driving innovation across the FMCG landscape.
The rise of the internet has been held liable for an increasingly image-conscious society, penetrating beyond the Millennial generation and impacting consumers across a much wider age cohort. So-called digital narcissism, aided by widely popular image-based social media applications and websites such as Instagram and Facebook, has put enormous pressure on people to achieve visual perfection, which is being reflected in their FMCG purchases.
"TrendSights Analysis 2019: Image Consciousness", explores what the trend is, why it is important, who is most influenced by it, and how brands and manufacturers can capitalize on it. The research concludes by identifying where the trend is heading next and how long it will last.
The growing influence of social media and celebrity culture, as well as the association between appearance and success in personal and professional lives, is fueling image consciousness among today’s consumers. As a result, consumers are increasingly searching for the most effective ways by which to achieve the "perfect" outward appearance.
- Over two thirds of consumers globally agree that their "looks/appearance in general" are important to them.
- Over half of consumers globally claim to spend more time on their personal appearance when going out/socializing.
- Over two thirds of consumers globally consider feeling physically attractive to be important in creating a feeling of wellbeing/wellness.
Reasons To Buy
- Understand the relevant consumer trends and attitudes that drive and support innovation success so you can tap into what is really impacting the industry.
- Gain a broader appreciation of the fast-moving consumer goods industry by gaining insights from both within and outside of your sector.
- Access valuable strategic take-outs to help direct future decision-making and inform new product development.