The global market for Sunless Tanners is forecast to reach US$1 billion by 2024, driven by the shift in attitudes towards tanned skin which now becoming socially desirable and a beauty standard in the Americas and the Europe. In the Western world, a darker and tanned skin rather than a fair natural complexion is rated as being attractive, healthier, and sexually intense. A tanned skin hides imperfections like freckles which is common in lighter skin due to the lower concentration of photo-protective melanin and also gives the face and features a slimmer look. A growing number of Caucasian women are therefore spending huge dollars to get the golden glow. Growing awareness over the risk of skin cancer associated with overexposure to the sun’s UV light is generating massive opportunities for sunless tanners. Key benefits offered by sunless tanners driving their adoption in the western world include safer than toxic UV-rays from the sun; faster tanning and more even pigmentation; imparts a natural sun kissed tanned look and appeal; helps achieve the exact shade of tan as per individual preferences; reduced dependence on weather for achieving the perfect tanned look and helps maintain the tan all through the year; and eliminates the need for expensive vacations to tropics; among others. Product innovation ranks crucial to market growth and to the creation of new demand opportunities. Few of the noteworthy innovations include development of tanners with anti-aging active compounds and hydrating ingredients like coconut water, vitamins and anti-oxidants; launch of tanning products in myriad innovative colors and tones such as deep brown tan, golden brown glow, bronzed glow, sun-kissed tan etc.; availability of self-tanners in a wide range of formats such as mist sprays, serum, bars, foams, lotions, mousse, powders and even balm; high profile introduction of water resistant tanners; tanners with SPF; and tanners with in-shower hydrators like coconut oil. In addition to the increased acceptance of DIY self tanners, the market is also receiving a boost from the widespread establishment of indoor tanning salons. The negative publicity surrounding the health risks posed by UV light using tanning beds, lamps and booths, which are now commonly available as add-services in gyms, is encouraging the shift towards the more safer sunless tanners. The United States and Europe represent the largest markets worldwide with a combined 70.4% share. Latin America is forecast to emerge as the fastest growing market with a CAGR of 8.1% over the analysis period supported by the rising popularity of self-tanning solutions among the growing base of young, educated population sensitized to the health risks posed to over exposure to the sun.
Download Free Sample Pages of this report
Company and Industry News & Stories
Product Definition & Scope
- Unilever Inks an Agreement to Take Over 75% Stake in Equilibra, the Italian Personal Care & Wellbeing Business
- Crown Laboratories Completes Acquisition of Vita Liberata in a Move to Strengthen its Position in the Sun Care Products Market
- Givaudan Active Beauty Launches Vegetan Evolve, Designed for Providing a Long-Lasting & Natural Effect to Self-Tanner Formulations
- Golden Star Beauty Introduces Organic Self-Tanning Lotion Designed for Protecting Skin Damage from the Sun & Tanning Beds
- Tan-Luxe Unveils Tan-Luxe Wonder Self-Tanning Oil and an Innovative Self-Tanner Remover
Timeline for Analysis
- Sunless tanning is an alternate method of achieving a tan without exposure to UV rays from natural sunlight or tanning beds. Also known as UV-free or self-tanning, sunless tanning involves application of sprays, lotions and chemicals, personally or with the help of professional technicians, on the skin to achieve a suntan. Self-tanners are available in different formulations and shades to suit different skin types. Modern self-tanning solutions prevent orange streaks on the skin, which were the side effects of initially launched dye-based self-tanners. Major categories of self-tanners include DHA Based Tanners, Tyrosine Based Tanners, Temporary Bronzers, and Tinted Moisturizers.
Geographic Markets Analyzed
- Market Estimates and Forecasts for 2016-2024
- Historic Review 2011-2015
- US, Canada, Japan, Europe (France, Germany, Italy, UK, Spain, Russia and Rest of Europe), Asia-Pacific, Latin America, and Rest of World
How Can You Benefit?
- L’Oréal Group
- Unilever Plc
- The Estée Lauder Companies, Inc.
- Kao Corporation
- Avon Products, Inc.
- Beiersdorf AG
- Shiseido Co., Ltd.
This research project broadly covers analysis of all market trends, drivers, challenges and other macro market scenarios you need to know to improve your strategic planning and remain informed and competitive. The study also provides reliable ready facts and exclusive statistical data insights in addition to expert and highly accurate market size forecasts and projections to help you identify new markets and opportunities for revenue growth and sustainability. The extensive reportage of industry, company and product news and stories together with coverage of all major and niche players provided in the report helps you build a 360 degree perspective on your markets and gain unsurpassed insights needed to devise plans and strategies to maximize business growth.