The global market for Appearance Chemicals in the Automotive Aftermarket is projected to reach US$5.6 billion by 2025, driven by the growing awareness over the importance of appearance maintenance on par with mechanical part maintenance among car owners; and rising average age of vehicle fleet and a parallel increase in maintenance expenditure. Detailing practices are receiving more focus during regular maintenance supported by benefits offered over and above just aesthetics. These benefits include protection of surfaces from deterioration caused by UV light, corrosive exhaust fumes, grit and sand; reflection of heat and reduced heating of the car during long-drives; improved safety, comfort and driving performance that come with well cleaned and polished wheels, windshield & headlights; better protection of the metal body of the car since a car is only as strong as its metal; and higher used car valuations in the resale market. Rising cost of car ownership is additionally encouraging consumer spending on preserving auto appearance to prevent financial investments in the car from quite literally rusting away. Other major market forces include growth of both Do-It-Yourself (DIY) and Do-It-For-Me (DIFM) among the two different demographic clusters of customers i.e. baby boomers and millennials; innovation in chemical formulations especially those designed to offer gloss, and long lasting paint and surface protection; growing trend among aging baby boomers to restore their classic, vintage cars; mushrooming of car wash centers and increased demand for car shampoos and wheel cleaners; and stable R&D investments in the widely perceived as saturated and mature cleaning technologies space. Growing demand for DIFM services is spurring ‘service providers’ demand for consumables and supplies in line with growing customer footfall. Additionally, need for product differentiation is driving innovations in specialty automotive coating chemicals. Silicone fluids and emulsions; and spray waxes for quick re-waxing are witnessing strong premium pricing benefits in the market. A strong resale market encouraged by financial austerity practiced by consumers is leading to increased consumer emphasis on retaining the vehicle’s virgin appearance for securing a higher price in the pre-owned cars and leased vehicles market. Asia-Pacific ranks as the fastest growing market with a CAGR of 4.9% over the analysis period, led by factors such as growing per capita car ownership, higher propensity to spend on vehicle care and maintenance among the growing base of affluent middle class population, development of the transportation sector and the ensuing increase in commercial vehicle fleet especially service vehicles more focused on appearance and new establishment of service centers specializing in providing exterior and interior detailing services and rapid proliferation of car wash stations in industrial and residential areas.
Company and Industry News & Stories
- ITW Introduces Black Magic® Intense™ Wheel & Tire Cleaner, Black Magic® Bleche-White® Tire Cleaner Aerosol and Black Magic® Tire Protectant with UV Guard
- Energizer Acquires Auto Care Business of Spectrum Brands in a Transaction Valued at US$938.7 Million
- Permatex Introduces Spray Nine® Glass & Chrome Cleaner that Outperforms and Eliminates Need for Traditional Polishes and Pastes
- Rust-Oleum Introduces New Car Detailing Products Designed to Protect and Enhance Vehicle Appearance
- BAF Industries Launches PRO® Carnauba Creme Wax Crafted for Producing an Ultra Rich, Deep Gloss Shine
Outlook in Key Market Segments
- Through 2025, Windshield Washer Fluids will remain the largest market, followed by Waxes/Polishes.
- Waxes/Polishes are projected to witness the fastest growth supported by innovations such as cost-effective silicone oils which offer shine and protection on par with the more expensive acrylic additives based waxes and polish.
Product Definition & Scope
- Automotive appearance chemicals are defined chemicals used to modify the appearance of vehicles and related equipment. Automotive chemicals are essentially dress-up and creature-comfort-type items such as specialty waxes and chemicals. These products make vehicles look more attractive and more fun to drive.
Timeline for Analysis
- Market Estimates and Forecasts for 2017-2025
- Historic Review 2012-2016
Geographic Markets Analyzed
- US, Canada, Japan, Europe (France, Germany, Italy, UK, Spain, Russia, and Rest of Europe), Asia-Pacific (China, India and Rest of Asia-Pacific), Middle East & Africa, and Latin America (Brazil and Rest of Latin America)
Market Segmentation & Classification
- Waxes/Polishes, Protectants, Wheel and Tire Cleaners, and Windshield Washer Fluids
- 3M Company
- Armored AutoGroup Inc.
- ITW Global Brands
- Blue Ribbon Products, Inc.
- Niteo Products, LLC
- Northern Labs, Inc.
- Protect All, Inc.
- Turtle Wax, Inc.
How Can You Benefit?
This research project broadly covers analysis of all market trends, drivers, challenges and other macro market scenarios you need to know to improve your strategic planning and remain informed and competitive. The study also provides reliable ready facts and exclusive statistical data insights in addition to expert and highly accurate market size forecasts and projections to help you identify new markets and opportunities for revenue growth and sustainability. The extensive reportage of industry, company and product news and stories together with coverage of all major and niche players provided in the report helps you build a 360 degree perspective on your markets and gain unsurpassed insights needed to devise plans and strategies to maximize business growth.