The content of this report will be updated with the latest scenarios based on the global COVID-19 Pandemic
Sustainable packaging was once a niche that only a small minority of the consumers took a notice of. As a result, a small number of products boasted of how environmentally friendly their packaging was, and few consumers gave this factor any importance when shopping. However, more consumers are now becoming aware of impact that packaging can have on the environment, and as a result, ethical packaging is now becoming a “must have” quality when purchasing a product. This sudden interest in sustainability in recent years has been driven by more open discussion via social media, and increased government lobbying resulting in action against plastics such as plastic bags. This increased focus on environmental impact is creating new opportunities for sustainable packaging materials.
Two-thirds of consumers worldwide think that living an ethical or sustainable lifestyle is important to creating a feeling of wellbeing. This means that using sustainable packaging to reflect cleaner and healthier living is an important aspect for many consumers.In terms of regions, consumers in Latin America are the most likely to associate the term “organic” with either being sustainable, or being better for environment.
GlobalData has identified four materials impacting innovation in sustainable packaging markets: MFC (Microfibrillated Cellulose), PVOH (Polyvinyl Alcohol), EVOH (Ethylene Vinyl Alcohol) and PEF (Polyethylene Furanoate).
This report "Packaging Insights: Innovation Scenarios in Sustainable Packaging Materials - Winners and losers as packaging markets become more environmentally friendly", analyzes the role emerging sustainable materials can play in boosting material substitution in packaging markets, and the drivers and inhibitors affecting the impact of sustainable packaging materials.
Companies mentioned in this report: Coca-Cola, Stora Enso, Elopak, Weidmann , Solupak, Kuraray, Aquapak Polymers Ltd, Premiumpack GmbH, LEIPA, Twinings, S&W, Avantium, Danone, Synvina C.V., Toyobo, Bio-Based Industries Joint Undertaking (BBI)
- More than half of global consumers consider environmentally friendly packaging to be important
- Sustainability is important for consumers in creating a feeling of wellbeing
- Pressure from governments and consumers will force companies to better track the environmental impact of their packaging, and to make detailed plans on how they can reduce it.
- Focus on making products recyclable and reducing unnecessary packaging.
Reasons To Buy
- Gain insight on consumer trends and perceptions towards sustainable packaging materials
- Identify new and emerging packaging materials to help overcome challenges with sustainability and ethics
- Discover the latest innovation and learn from what other brands are doing to reduce carbon footprints
- Explore future challenges that the industry must overcome with use of sustainable pakcgaing materials.