Sinotrans Ltd. - Company Strategy & Performance Analysis
Sinotrans Limited provides integrated logistics services. Sinotrans mainly operates its business across China and Hong Kong. The company provides freight forwarding, logistics, storage and terminal services, and other services mainly engaged in trucking, shipping and express services. The company operates through four segments: freight forwarding, logistics, storage and terminal services, and other services.
Sinotrans’ freight forwarding segment primarily involves, at the instruction of its customers, arranging the transportation of goods to consignees at other locations within specified time limits, including shipping agency services to shipping companies. The company’s logistics segment provides customized and professional integrated logistics services to its customers. The other services segment provides trucking, shipping and express services. It is headquartered in Beijing, China.
MarketLine Premium’s company strategy reports provide in-depth coverage of the performance and strategies of the world’s leading transport and logistics companies. The report details company operations in key geographies and offers a comprehensive analysis of each firm’s growth strategy and financial performance. The reports benchmark company performance via key indicators, including air freight revenue, sea freight revenue, air freight volume, sea freight volume, operating income, net income, Total revenue.
Steady business volumes support growth despite declining freight rates
Freight forwarding has made significant contributions in terms of providing service-oriented products with respect to full container load, less than container load and bulk commodity. Sinotrans’ freight forwarding segment revenue declined at 5.2%, from US$5,556.6m in 2015 to US$5,264.8m in 2016. However, in local currency, segment revenue increased at 0.2% over the same period. This is mainly attributed to steady growth in the company’s business volumes.
Growth in volume drives Sinotrans’ logistics segment revenue
Logistics is the second major segment after freight forwarding in terms of revenue generation. Sinotrans’ logistics segment revenue increased at 6.6%, from US$1,111.3m in 2015 to US$1,185.1m in 2016. In local currency, segment revenue increased by 12.7% during the same period. This increase is attributed to growth in freight volumes which is largely due to new customers, the company exploring opportunities in the international market, and the rapid growth of the “One Belt, One Road” project, which strengthened the market expansion of the company’s logistics services.
Sinotrans’ storage and terminal services witnessed growth in 2016
Storage and terminal services offer services such as the handling of bulk cargo and yard operations. Sinotrans’ storage and terminal services segment revenue declined at 1.5% from US$310.8m in 2015 to US$306.0m in 2016. However, in local currency, it posted an increase of 4.1%. This increase is mainly attributed to growth in the number of containers handled in the group’s warehouse and an increase in yard operations. In 2016, the number of containers handled in the company’s warehouse and yard operations increased by 3.2%, from 7.7 million TEUs in 2015 to 7.9 million TEUs.
Sinotrans’ other services segment posted a significant increase in its revenue
Sinotrans’ other services include trucking, shipping, and express services. Segment revenue increased at 5.2% from US$332.0m in 2015 to US$349.3m in 2016. In local currency, it posted an increase of 11.2% over the same period. The increase is attributed to growth in the company’s shipping agency and express services. The number of documents and parcels handled by express services increased by 178.1%, from 2.8 million units in 2015 to 7.7 million units in 2016, which was mainly attributed to the significant expansion in business cooperation with cross-border e-commerce business Cainiao Logistics.
- Company Snapshot - Details key indicators and rankings of Sinotrans in terms of revenue, air freight volume, ocean containers and total warehouse space.
- Company SWOT Analysis - Outlines Sinotrans’s strengths, weaknesses, and opportunities and threats facing the company.
- Growth Strategies - Provides an overview of Sinotrans’s corporate goals and strategic initiatives and evaluates their outcomes.
- Company Performance and Competitive Landscape - Analyses the company’s performance by geographical segment and provides a peer comparison on parameters such as revenue and market share.
- Key Developments - Showcases Sinotrans’s recent corporate events and initiatives.
- ICT Spending Prediction - Details how the company allocates its ICT budget across the core areas of its business, specifically hardware, software, IT services, communications and consulting.
Reasons To Buy
- How does Sinotrans ranks among its peers in terms of revenue and market share?
- What are Sinotrans main growth strategies and how successful has the company been at implementing them?
- How has the company performed since 2014?
- How has Sinotrans performed in comparison to its main competitors?
- What are Sinotrans’s strengths and weaknesses and what are the opportunities and threats it faces?