The chocolate market in Japan has been growing. In 2015, the five-year CAGR of the market value in local currency was 2.23%, which is higher-paced than other confectionery categories, such as gum and sugar confectionery. Functional chocolates have traction in building growth, bringing new customers into the category, such as adults and health-conscious consumers, and Lotte Sweet Days chocolate has been contributing to this growth. Interestingly, Japan’s chocolate consumption per capita is relatively low compared to European countries, which indicates that there are further opportunities in Japan’s chocolate market for unique innovations and services.
- The probiotic chocolate format successfully appealed to its target consumers, Japanese women who are keen on functional food and drinks, and lactic acid bacteria are topical as an ingredient, achieving great success in the probiotic yogurt category.
- The chocolate format is convenient for consuming and storing probiotics without a refrigerator, extending consumer enjoyment of probiotic products beyond yogurt.
- Developing functional chocolates will contribute to chocolate market growth. Identifying key health concerns and catering to them with chocolate creates opportunities in a category not normally associated with health.
"Success Case Study: Lotte Sweets Days Chocolate" is part of Successes and Failures research. It examines the details of and reasons behind the success of Lotte Sweets Days Chocolate in Japan, a probiotic chocolate designed to maintain bowel health. It delivers the critical "what?", "why?", and "so what?" analysis to teach you crucial lessons that increase your chances of launching successful products.
Reasons To Buy
- Reduce the risk of failure by learning from brands/products that have under-performed: failed innovation can severely impact profit and reputation.
- Understand the relevant consumer trends and attitudes that drive and support innovation success so you can tap into what is really impacting the industry.
- Gain a broader appreciation of the fast-moving consumer goods industry by gaining insights from both within and outside of your sector.
- Access valuable strategic take-outs to help direct future decision-making and inform new product development.