The vulnerability material that is collected, queried, and segmented provides rich qualitative commentary on the vulnerability research industry and community of contributors, and recognizes the most prolific disclosers of new vulnerabilities.
- Total number of public vulnerabilities
- Market trends of severity levels
- Market trends of applications and classes of applications
- Market trends of different vulnerability flaws
There have also been notable changes among the key players. Trend Micro acquired HP TippingPoint and Google Project Zero launched in mid-2014.
The different types of threats which can exploit vulnerabilities are discussed in this report. We also conducted competitive analysis of the research institutions involved in disclosing vulnerabilities.
Key questions this study answers:
- Which institutions have disclosed the most vulnerabilities and what types?
- Which applications have had the most public vulnerabilities?
- Have severity levels changed?
- What are the most likely impacts threats will have on exploitable vulnerabilities?