The global diaper market in 2021 was valued at US$83.85 billion, and is likely to reach US$127.54 billion by 2026. Diaper is often worn by babies as well as adults suffering from abnormal health conditions such as diarrhea, incontinence, mobility impairment, or dementia.
Diaper is defined as a soft absorbent fabric or clothing worn by users that enable the user to urinate or secrete without the utilization of toilets. Globally, the diaper industry is growing, owing to the increasing awareness about personal and baby hygiene. At the moment, high birth rates in emerging countries and growth in numbers of aging population in developed countries are propelling the demand for diaper. The diaper has been gaining its popularity predominantly due to increase in female participation in labor force and increased awareness about personal hygiene and infant hygiene, especially in North America. The diaper market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 8.75% during the forecast period of 2022-2026.
Market Segmentation Analysis:
- By Segment: The report divides the global diaper market into two different categories based on the type of users: baby diapers, and adult diapers. The baby diaper space segment held the highest share of 80.5% in 2021, as parents are becoming more aware of the need of newborn cleanliness.
- By Product Type: The report splits the both baby diaper market and adult diaper market into four different types based on the type of product: baby diapers (disposable diaper, training nappies, cloth diapers, and others) and adult diaper (pant type diapers, pad type diapers, tape type diapers, and others). Disposable diaper segment holds more than half of the share in baby diaper market in 2021, while tape type adult diaper segment is the fastest growing segment with a CAGR of more than 14% during forecast period, due to the rapid advancement in the tape type adult diaper.
- By Distribution Channel: The market report has segmented the adult and baby diaper markets into two segments on the basis of distribution channel: offline and online. In both markets, the fastest growing category is online, with a CAGR of roughly 10% for the baby diaper industry and over 13% for the adult diaper market.
- By Region: According to the report, the global market can be divided into five major regions, on the basis of geographical areas: North America (The US, Canada, and Mexico), Latin America & MEA (Brazil and Rest of Latin America & MEA), Asia Pacific (China, India, Indonesia, Japan, Australia, and Rest of Asia Pacific), and Europe (UK, Germany, France, Spain and Rest of Europe). The North American baby diaper market enjoyed the largest share of 32% of the global market in 2021, primarily owing to the region’s high literacy rates and widespread awareness of personal hygiene. On the other hand, the Asia Pacific adult diaper market is the emerging region in the global market, growing at a CAGR of 17% due to the rising number of cases of urine incontinence in Asian countries such as China, Japan, and India.
Global Diaper Market Dynamics:
Growth Drivers: The increase in the number of working women provides a chance for countries to expand their workforce and achieve greater economic growth, as a result the disposable income will increase, thereby propelling the diaper market growth. Further, the market has been expanding during the past few years, owing to factors such as, aging population, increase in urban population, high birth rate in emerging countries and delayed toilet training of children in developed countries.
Challenges: Growing health concern due to the presence of harmful chemicals in the baby diapers is projected to restrict market growth.
Trends: Rising environment concerns represents a key factor driving the demand of biodegradable diapers. Biodegradable diapers are made from biodegradable fibers such as cotton, bamboo, starch, etc. These are eco-friendly in nature and safe for babies as these are chemical free. The demand for biodegradable diaper will drive the overall diaper market in coming years. More trends in the market are believed to grow the diaper market during the forecasted period, which may include continuous research and development (R&D) activities, increasing focus on ingredient transparency, and smart diaper.
Impact Analysis of COVID-19 and Way Forward:
The COVID-19 pandemic had a mixed impact on the global diaper market. As a result of the pandemic, an increase in demand for diaper was observed especially in baby diaper market. The impact of prolonged lockdown had created a sudden gap in supply and demand of the diaper industry. The COVID-19 created awareness about eco-friendly products and usage of adult diaper was redefined. In the coming years, the market is predicted to grow at a faster rate and recover to the pre-COVID marks. With the increased understanding of the benefits of adult diapers, large number of private companies involvement in adult diaper industry, and changes in marketing techniques has been observed in the industry.
Competitive Landscape and Recent Developments:
The global diaper market is highly fragmented. However, country specific diaper market such as Indonesia and Japan are found to be dominated. The involvement of leading consumer goods players who have identified the market’s tremendous potential and control the bulk of the revenue share. The market is expanding and shifting in response to customer demand for sanitary and quick-drying, absorbing, and leak technology advances, as the market provides a chance for businesses to capture sales from a more diverse range of consumers. To acquire significant market traction, established corporations have been inventing new technologies and experimenting with natural substances.
The key players of the global diaper market are:
- The Procter & Gamble Company
- Johnson & Johnson Inc.
- Unicharm Corporation
- Kimberly-Clark Corporation
- Essity Aktiebolag
- Ontex Group
- Hengan International Group Company Ltd
- Nobel Hygiene
Scope of the Report
The report titled “Global Diaper (Adult and Baby Diaper) Market: Analysis By Product Type, By Distribution Channel, By Region Size and Trends with Impact of COVID-19 and Forecast up to 2026”, includes:
- An in-depth analysis of the global diaper market by product type, by distribution channel, by region, etc.
- The regional analysis of the baby and adult diaper market, including the following regions:
- North America (The US, Canada, and Mexico)
- Latin America & MEA (Brazil and Rest of Latin America & MEA)
- Asia Pacific (China, India, Indonesia, Japan, Australia, and Rest of Asia Pacific)
- Europe (UK, Germany, France, Spain and Rest of Europe)
- Comprehensive information about emerging markets. This report analyses the market for various segments across geographies.
- Provides an analysis of the COVID-19 impact on the global diaper market, with post COVID impact analysis.
- Assesses the key opportunities in the market and outlines the factors that are and will be driving the growth of the industry. Growth of the overall diaper market has also been forecasted for the period 2022-2026, taking into consideration the previous growth patterns, the growth drivers, and the current and future trends.
- Evaluation of the potential role of diaper services to improve the market status.
- Identification of new technological developments, R&D activities, and product launches occurring in the diaper market
- In-depth profiling of the key players, including the assessment of the business overview, market strategies, regional and business segments of the leading players in the market.
- The recent developments, mergers and acquisitions related to mentioned key players are provided in the market report.
- The report provides in-depth analysis of the market, underlining the growth rate and opportunities offered in the business.