Singapore is a small island nation located in Southeast Asia, off the southern tip of the Malay Peninsula. It has one of Asia's best-equipped militaries and ranks high internationally in per capita defense spending. The Singapore military is considered to be one of the most advanced in all its three aspects of Army, Navy and Air Force. Given its small population base, the Singaporeans have focused on maintaining their spending on sophisticated and superior weaponry. However, the principal recent development affecting the future of Singapore’s defense spending is the recent rapid deterioration in economic conditions.
Singapore procures the majority of its defense equipment from foreign companies, and imports are largely fuelled by the country's policy of utilizing technology to improve the efficiency of the army. Imports include arms, ships, missile systems and armored vehicles. Historically, the largest supplier of arms to Singapore was the US, however, during the review period, countries such as France and Germany have made substantial inroads into the country's defense industry.
Prime threats faced to the security of Singapore are piracy and terrorism.
With limited access to resources, Singapore has gone on to restrict its options regarding setting up a defense industry and the government run companies laid emphasis on repairing and modernizing of foreign manufactured platforms. Singapore's defense expenditure is primarily driven by the threat of terrorist organizations such as Jemaah Islamiah, and the country’s focus on the protection of important trade routes, such as the Strait of Singapore and the Strait of Malacca, from the threat of piracy. Singapore’s army is relatively small, and the country uses technology as a force multiplier, another factor which increases defense expenditure.
It is noteworthy that Singapore has decided to design and build much of its new artillery and armored equipment on its own. Yet when large integrated systems are required, it has turned to many countries, such as the United States for aircrafts, France for frigates, Germany for light naval vessels and Sweden for submarines and minesweepers. The country has for certain noticed the utility in multilateral ties and has sought cooperation with other countries. Whatever the intentions of its neighbors may have remained, Singapore has materially improved its security situation in the recent years.
In this industry scenario, Synergyst analyzes the Defense and Security industries in Singapore. The report covers the following:
• In order to understand the development of the Singaporean defense and security industry, it is important to take a look at the geopolitical situation in the world, particularly in South East Asia. Our research report analyzes the emergence of a new geopolitical situation in the world through a look at the new roles to be played by the United States, China, Japan, the Koreas, India, Russia, Europe, Brazil, Turkey, Iran, the Middle East, and Africa, in the coming years.
• The emergence of new great powers around the world in the face of growing global terrorism is analyzed in the report.
• An analysis of the security market in South East Asia is important in establishing the importance of Singapore in this industry across this entire region. The geopolitical significance of South East Asia is important as there are many flashpoints in the region that could have an impact on Singapore.
• In order to examine the defense and security industries in Singapore, it is necessary to analyze the political landscape in Singapore, including the major political changes on the horizon.
• Moving on to the analysis of the security industry in Singapore, we analyze the domestic security situation as well as the external security situation, particularly the problem of terrorism faced by the country. Furthermore, we analyze the impact of the Singaporean relations with the US and its relations with neighboring countries.
• We carry out a SWOT analysis of the Singaporean Security Market.
• An analysis of Singapore’s Armed Forces is necessary in order to establish the growing importance of Singapore in the Asian region in terms of military presence.
• Moving on to an analysis of Singapore’s defense industry, we analyze the market profile, industry trends, competition in the industry, Singapore’s arms trade, and procurement of arms in the industry.
• We carry out a SWOT analysis of the Singaporean Defense Industry.
• Outlook for the Singaporean Defense and Security Industry is carried out through a forecast for defense expenditure and defense trade, and a forecast for the Singaporean Armed Forces.
Synergyst ’s report on Defense and Security in Singapore is a complete profile of this competitive industry in Singapore.
Unfortunately this market research is not available anymore, please use the links below to find related reports.