Philippines is an island country in Southeast Asia in the western Pacific Ocean. It is one of the oldest democracies in Asia, but with the long-running communist insurgency that affects the entire country, armed conflict, violent crime, and clan-based feuds in Mindanao pose significant threats to peace and security. Serious political challenges remain to achieving a negotiated peace settlement between the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) and the GRP.
Complicating the internal security landscape in Mindanao are the possible links between domestic Islamic insurgents and international terrorist networks. Addressing these threats requires international and regional cooperation and improved police and military capabilities to better monitor and control the movement of people, goods, and funds. The Department of National Defense (DND) and its primary bureau, the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP), play a crucial role in maintaining a growing economy.
Since the end of World War II, the Philippines has been on an unfortunate economic trajectory, going from one of the richest countries in Asia (following Japan) to one of the poorest. This has definitely had an impact on its budget and maintenance of its military sector. It has also gained a reputation as the “Kidnapping Capital of Asia” in recent years, with kidnap-for-ransom establishing itself as a popular and lucrative business for the Filipino underworld. Malls and stores are often bombed throughout the islands, killing mostly innocent bystanders.
With its economy gaining momentum recently, a GDP growth of 5.1% is predicted in 2011. This can be looked as a sign of relief because finally the Philippines will be able to make some good investments in order to boost its military condition. Among its allies, the U.S. is committed to the defense of the Philippines and providing it with affordable weaponry amidst mounting tensions in the South China Sea. Recently, Philippine President Benigno Aquino warned the Chinese defense minister of a possible arms race in the region if tensions worsened over disputes in the South China Sea.
In this industry scenario, Synergyst analyzes the Defense and Security industries in Philippines. The report covers the following:
• In order to understand the development of the Filipino defense and security industry, it is important to take a look at the geopolitical situation in the world, particularly in South East Asia. Our research report analyzes the emergence of a new geopolitical situation in the world through a look at the new roles to be played by the United States, China, Japan, the Koreas, India, Russia, Europe, Brazil, Turkey, Iran, the Middle East, and Africa, in the coming years.
• The emergence of new great powers around the world in the face of growing global terrorism is analyzed in the report.
• An analysis of the security market in South East Asia is important in establishing the importance of Philippines in this industry across this entire region. The geopolitical significance of South East Asia is important as there are many flashpoints in the region that could have an impact on the Philippines.
• In order to examine the defense and security industries in Philippines, it is necessary to analyze the political landscape in the Philippines, including the major political changes on the horizon.
• Moving on to the analysis of the security industry in Philippines, we analyze the domestic security situation as well as the external security situation, particularly the problem of terrorism faced by the country. Furthermore, we analyze the impact of the Filipino relations with the US and the disputed region of the South China Sea.
• We carry out a SWOT analysis of the Filipino Security Market.
• An analysis of Philippines’ Armed Forces is necessary in order to establish the growing importance of Philippines in the Asian region in terms of military presence.
• Moving on to an analysis of Philippines’ defense industry, we analyze the market profile, industry trends, competition in the industry, Philippines’ arms trade, and procurement of arms in the industry.
• We carry out a SWOT analysis of the Filipino Defense Industry.
• Outlook for the Filipino Defense and Security Industry is carried out through a forecast for defense expenditure and defense trade, and a forecast for the Filipino Armed Forces.
Synergyst ’s report on Defense and Security in Philippines is a complete profile of this competitive industry in the Philippines.