South Korea, a sovereign nation, is located in the southern portion of the Korean peninsula in east of Asia. For quite some time now, the issues it has had with North Korea have been a matter of concern. Following a series of violent outbreaks at the end of 2010, South Korea has redefined its rules of engagement with regards to future North-South disputes. Reports that North Korea has already built an advanced uranium enrichment facility with the potential to produce nuclear weapons have been a key driver in changes. The South Korean armed forces have been centered mostly amongst the ground forces, hence making it susceptible to invasions from the north.
However, the paramount feature of the South Korean military force remains its very own Republic of Korea (ROK) armed forces, which has strength of about 4.5 million troops. In case of a transgression, these troops ought to play a major role in combating and overpowering. Domestic troops are provided with backup by the presence of US troops as well, both on land and in air. With the signing of FTA between South Korea and EU, both sides can look forward to benefit from its consequences.
While the South Korean economy suffered a collapse due to the global economic meltdown, things are looking to change as 2011 has had a GDP growth of 4%. It's not up to the mark that the government wanted it to hit, but still a relief to have nevertheless.
So far it's good to comprehend that South Korea has actually had no internal hazards regarding its security. However, it incessantly exists in threat of being attacked by the unpredictable North Korea, being inundated by refugees from it and also criminals and intelligence agents pretending to be asylum seekers. The South is also facing difficulties in finding native workers to take up unskilled jobs, and therefore, it is left with no other choice but to allow refugees and workers from the North to get settled.
There's no escaping the fact that North Korea by far remains the most predominant security threat to the South. Both sides have been at war constantly for quite some time now. It is clearly visible to South Korea that North Korea has a great number of military forces combined with deployment of significant conventional arsenal bordering the demilitarized zone (DMZ) and also a developing nuclear program to top it all.
In this industry scenario, Synergyst analyzes the Defense and Security industries in South Korea. The report covers the following:
• In order to understand the development of the South Korean defense and security industry, it is important to take a look at the geopolitical situation in the world, particularly in North East Asia. Our research report analyzes the emergence of a new geopolitical situation in the world through a look at the new roles to be played by the United States, China, Japan, the Koreas, India, Russia, Europe, Brazil, Turkey, Iran, the Middle East, and Africa, in the coming years.
• The emergence of new great powers around the world in the face of growing global terrorism is analyzed in the report.
• An analysis of the security market in North East Asia is important in establishing the importance of North Korea in this industry across this entire region. The geopolitical significance of North East Asia is important as there are many flashpoints in the region that could have an impact on North Korea.
• Situation on the Russia-China border, China's Western Border, China-North Korea border, China-India border, and China's growing military presence in the region is looked at.
• Japan's influence in the region cannot be overlooked as well as the importance of maintaining geopolitical status quo in the North East Asian region. All this and more is analyzed in the report Defense and Security in South Korea.
• In order to examine the defense and security industries in South Korea, it is necessary to analyze the political landscape in South Korea, including the major political changes on the horizon.
• Moving on to the analysis of the security industry in South Korea, we analyze the domestic security situation as well as the external security situation. Furthermore, we analyze the impact of the North Korea-South Korea and the South Korea and US relations, and the implications these pose for the South Korean security industry.
• We carry out a SWOT analysis of the South Korean Security Market.
• An analysis of South Korea’s Armed Forces is necessary in order to establish the growing threat of North Korea’s in the Asian region in terms of military presence. South Korea’s weapons of mass destruction are also analyzed in this section.
• Moving on to an analysis of South Korea’s defense industry, we analyze the market profile, industry trends, competition in the industry, South Korea’s arms trade, and procurement of arms in the industry.
• We carry out a SWOT analysis of the South Korean Defense Industry.
• Outlook for the South Korean Defense and Security Industry is carried out through a forecast for the Armed Forces and a forecast for defense expenditure and defense trade.
Unfortunately this market research is not available anymore, please use the links below to find related reports.