Pakistan is a sovereign state located in the southern part of Asia. It is the world’s sixth most populous country, with a population of 150 million and one of the largest Muslim countries in the world. Its military is armed with nuclear weapons and has the seventh largest force in the world, with a strength of 600,000. It is located strategically - with Iran and Afghanistan to the west, China to the north, and India to the east.
Even now, Pakistan remains an unstable hot spot, with revelations by Wikileaks website in late November 2010 that a number of US diplomatic cables made public have significant concerns about Pakistan's nuclear program. Pakistan is said to be producing nuclear weapons at a faster rate than any other country in the world. Furthermore, the north-west region of Pakistan is said to be the headquarter for al-Qaeda worldwide.
In the realm of foreign policy, Pakistan’s major problem continues to be its 53-year old conflict with India, much of it involving conflicting visions of national identity. This conflict finds its most visible expression in the lingering dispute over Kashmir. This conflict has involved many major and minor wars, the last of which took place in the icy heights of Kargil in the spring of 1999.
Militarily, Pakistan’s military has not fared well in its wars with India. Pakistan will not recover easily from decades of political and economic mismanagement, divisive policies, lawlessness, corruption and ethnic friction. Nascent democratic reforms will produce little change in the face of opposition from an entrenched political elite and radical Islamic parties.
After Osama bin Laden was gunned down to death in Pakistan's very own military abode in Abbotabad by US troops, countries around the world have been condemning the state for harboring Bin Laden and supporting his militant causes stealthily. With limited economic means and lack of foreign markets, there is little prospect of Pakistan developing industrial facilities that could cover all of its equipment needs in the near future.
In this industry scenario, Synergyst analyzes the Defense and Security industries in Pakistan. The report covers the following:
• In order to understand the development of the Indian defense and security industry, it is important to take a look at the geopolitical situation in the world, particularly in South Asia. Our research report analyzes the emergence of a new geopolitical situation in the world through a look at the new roles to be played by the United States, China, Japan, the Koreas, India, Russia, Europe, Brazil, Turkey, Iran, the Middle East, and Africa, in the coming years.
• The emergence of new great powers around the world in the face of growing global terrorism is analyzed in the report.
• An analysis of the security market in South Asia is important in establishing the importance of India in this industry across this entire region. The geopolitical significance of South Asia is important as there are many flashpoints in the region that could have an impact on India.
• In order to examine the defense and security industries in Pakistan, it is necessary to analyze the political landscape in Pakistan, including the major political changes on the horizon.
• Moving on to the analysis of the security industry in Pakistan, we analyze the domestic security situation as well as the external security situation.
• We carry out a SWOT analysis of the Pakistani Security Market.
• An analysis of Pakistan’s Armed Forces is necessary in order to establish the growing threat that Pakistan faces from insurgency within its borders itself. Pakistan’s weapons of mass destruction are also analyzed in this section.
• Moving on to an analysis of Pakistan’s defense industry, we analyze the market profile, industry trends, competition in the industry, Pakistan’s arms trade, and procurement of arms in the industry.
• We carry out a SWOT analysis of the Pakistani Defense Industry.
• Outlook for the Pakistani Defense and Security Industry is carried out through a forecast for the Armed Forces and a forecast for defense expenditure and defense trade.
Synergyst ’s report on Defense and Security in Pakistan is a complete profile of this competitive industry in Pakistan that is dealing with many threats from within and across its borders.