U.S. Small Hydropower Market Growth & Trends
The U.S. small hydropower market size is expected to reach USD 344.93 million in 2020, registering a CAGR of 1.8% over the forecast period, according to a new report by Grand View Research, Inc. Increasing demand for renewable energy in the U.S. is expected to drive the market over the forecast period. The recent outbreak of COVID-19 has disrupted supply chains and sharply curtailed commodity demand. Restriction in supply and transportation, due to the slowdown or halt in factory operations and partial or nationwide lockdown in the country to restrain the spread of the coronavirus, is expected to have a negative impact on the market growth.
In 2020, the total U.S. conventional hydroelectricity generation was about 291 billion kilowatt-hours (kWh), equivalent to about 7.3% of the total U.S. utility-scale electricity generation. In the same year, there was about 22,894 MW of total pumped-storage hydroelectric generating capacity in 18 states and 5 states combined had 61% of the national total. Companies, such as American Hydro, ANDRITZ, GE Renewable Energy, Voith, and Toshiba, manufactured 92 turbines with capacities of more than 30 MW in the past decade that are installed in the U.S., while more than a dozen companies are serving the demand for small turbines in the country.
U.S. Small Hydropower Market Report Highlights
- The civil construction component segment dominated the market in 2020 and is estimated to expand further at the fastest CAGR from 2021 to 2028
- The growth is credited to the rising demand for construction activities, such as piling, land preparation, excavation, and others across the country
- The mini hydropower type segment accounted for the maximum revenue share of the market in 2020
- However, the micro hydropower type segment is estimated to register the fastest CAGR from 2021 to 2028
- Major component suppliers for turbines are ANDRITZ and Gilkes. The key generator suppliers include Siemens Energy and Voith GmbH & Co. KGaA and the leading penstock providers are Canyon Hydro and ANDRITZ