Balfour Beatty Plc. (Balfour Beatty) provides construction and infrastructure services. It offers construction and its related support services for infrastructure assets globally. The company’s service portfolio includes electrical and mechanical engineering, design and construction, building and facilities management, social housing, civil ground, and refurbishment. It also carries out utility upgrade and maintenance, road management and maintenance and rail engineering work. Additionally, Balfour Beatty invests in privately funded infrastructure assets and manages non-PPP schemes along with Public-Private Partnership (PPP) projects. The company has expanded its operations into utilities, transportation, commercial and social infrastructure sectors. It has operations in the Hong Kong, UK, the Philippines, the US, Thailand, China, Japan, Malaysia, Singapore and Vietnam.
Balfour Beatty is embracing a new generation of industrialized methods to modernize its construction procedures and reach its goal of process re-engineering and streamlining its work process upto 25% by 2025.
Balfour Beatty set up a shared services unit, called Work Smart, to bring together its whole finance and HR processing functions. The company aimed to curtail its IT expenses by 25% with shared services strategy.
It has also developed Business information Model (BIM), a 3D model-based process to generate and attain information about a building or construction infrastructure from its initial launch stage and through its entire lifecycle.
The company is leveraging drones for mapping, capturing aerial shots, faster data collection and analysation, and site inspection.
To transform its services and tap into new opportunities, Balfour Beatty is emphasizing on strategic partnerships with many technology companies including Microsoft, Cisco, DJM Aerial Solutions, Egnyte, Barter4Things, 3D Repo, and IOTAS, for gaining access to advanced technologies like IoT, alternative reality, big data, and connectivity.
The report provides information and insights into Balfour Beatty’s activities, including -
- Insights of its digital transformation strategies and digital innovation programs
- Overview of technology initiatives covering strategic partnerships, and acquisition
- Insights on each technology initiative including technology theme, objective, and benefits
- Details of estimated ICT budgets and major ICT contracts
- Balfour Beatty plc is leveraging key disruptive technologies to improve its operational efficiency and service capabilities. IoT, Connectivity, Office of the Future, Cloud, Alternative Reality, Big Data, Building information modelling, 3D printing, drones, mobile app, AI, robotics and smart cities are the key technologies under focus for the company.
- In 2018, Balfour Beatty introduced “Rail Innovation Centre” in Derby, England, to emphasize on technology offerings with the purpose of improving proficiencies and safety across the rail network for those who work on the railway and travelers. This research, development and testing innovation center focus on the technology advancements in measurement systems, ’predict & prevent’ technology, artificial intelligence, robots signalling, and data science.
- It is focusing on transforming its processes by leveraging real-time data to monitor the plant and fleet operations, and make more informed decisions. Balfour is also using telematics for monitoring purpose and takes real-time decisions on output and productivity.
- In 2017, Balfour Beatty partnered with 3D Repo, to use its virtual reality app for training its workers. This partnership will help Balfour Beatty workers to virtually experience the real time scenarios and take necessary steps to avoid injuries.
Reasons To Buy
- Gain insights into Balfour Beatty’s operations.
- Gain insights into its digital strategies and innovation initiatives.
- Gain insights into its technology themes under focus.
- Gain insights into various partnerships of Balfour Beatty.