The global dairy packaging market reached a value of US$ 23.2 Billion in 2020. Packaging plays a vital role in the distribution of dairy products which are highly perishable in nature. Proper and effective packaging protects the contents from contamination and facilitates storage and transportation. Over the years, dairy packaging has evolved from glass bottles to polyethylene pouches, paperboard cartons and tins to tetra packs and aluminum cans. The increasing distribution of dairy products through organized retail channels has also increased the demand for dairy packaging across the world. Moreover, packaging provides information to consumers about the product ingredients through the medium of labeling which helps in improving the marketability of the product. Looking forward, IMARC Group expects the global dairy packaging market to exhibit moderate growth during 2021-2026.
- With rising environmental concerns, the leading dairy companies are adopting eco-friendly packaging to reduce their environmental impact and to preserve natural resources. For instance, Nestl? is working to make its packaging 100% recyclable or reusable by 2026, which will help in reducing the company’s carbon footprints.
- Leading dairy companies are introducing products in innovative and convenient packaging formats, such as tetra packs, glass bottles, clear tubs and squeezable pouches. Some vendors are also offering yogurt in PE-HD bottles sealed with either aluminum foil, laminated heat-seal closures or PE-LD caps or lids to protect the contents from oxidation and delay the fading of light-sensitive colors.
- Packaging manufacturers are introducing innovative products such as modified atmosphere packaging (MAP) with aseptic and antimicrobial properties. This type of packaging helps in extending the shelf-life of dairy products to up to 90 days under refrigeration storage by controlling the associated fungal contamination.
Breakup by Packaging Material:
- Flexible plastic
- Rigid plastic
- Paper and paper board
Based on packaging materials, flexible plastic is the most popular type of packaging material as it is light-weight and is easy to open, store and carry.
Breakup by Packaging Type:
On the basis of packaging types, single-packs currently dominate the market, accounting for the largest market share. Due to their affordability, convenience and portability, single-pack or miniaturized packaging is becoming popular.
Breakup by Product Type:
- Liquid cartons
- Bottles and jars
Amongst these, liquid cartons hold the largest share as milk and other fluid dairy products are packed in liquid paperboard (LPB) which is constructed from paperboard and layers of plastic.
Breakup by Application:
- Butter and ghee
At present, milk exhibits a clear dominance in the market as it is consumed widely across the globe and has a short shelf-life when not appropriately packed.
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Middle East and Africa
- Latin America
Region-wise, North America enjoys the leading position in the market as there is a considerable demand for packaged dairy products in the region.
The competitive landscape is characterized by the presence of numerous small and large manufacturers who compete in terms of prices and quality. Some of the leading players operating in the market are:
- Ball Corporation
- Bemis Company, Inc.
- RPC Group
Key questions answered in this report:
- How has the global dairy packaging market performed so far and how will it perform in the coming years?
- What has been the impact of COVID-19 on the global dairy packaging market?
- What are the key regions in the global dairy packaging market?
- Which are the popular product types in the global dairy packaging market?
- What are the different types of packaging materials used in the global dairy packaging market?
- What are the various packaging types in the global dairy packaging market?
- What are the key application segments in the global dairy packaging market?
- What are the various stages in the value chain of the global dairy packaging market?
- What are the key driving factors and challenges in the global dairy packaging market?
- What is the structure of the global dairy packaging market and who are the key players?
- What is the degree of competition in the global dairy packaging market?
- How is packaging for dairy products manufactured?