The use of unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) has gathered pace in recent years, with most states having access to some form of UAV platform. As new technologies such as AI and drone swarms mature, UAVs have the potential to revolutionize modern warfare. To counter this emerging threat, investment in cutting edge C-UAS is essential.
The commercialization of drones is a key driver in the C-UAS market, with technological advances lowering the costs of acquiring drones, thereby increasing access. This has led to wider commercial and governmental proliferation, which itself necessitates the development and procurement of C-UAS systems in a variety of defense, commercial, and law enforcement roles.
In the context of increasing multi-polarity, it is likely that investment in defense C-UAS capabilities will only accelerate. Drone swarms, along with Manned-Unmanned Teaming, has been identified as a key feature of multiple next-generation fighter programs. For example, in January 2021, the UK government announced a ?30 million contract to design and manufacture a prototype of an unmanned fighter aircraft intended to eventually form part of the Tempest program. Additionally, Russia has deployed UAVs in the conflict in Ukraine, and has reportedly deployed a drone swarm in a military exercise in 2020. China has identified drones, particularly drone swarms, as a key feature of its defense modernization plans as it endeavors to achieve parity with the US. Given this intense focus on the development and advancement of drone technology, it is likely that going forward, the cultivation and procurement of robust C-UAS systems, capable of countering a range of UAV threats (Groups 1-5), will be essential.This report is part of our ecosystem of thematic investment research reports, supported by our “thematic engine”.
- Demand for CUAS-related products will be driven by their expanding capabilities in both defense and commercial settings, and the revolutionary potential of drone swarm technology
- There will be a significant spending push in drone-related technologies, and this will precipitate investment in coreesponding CUAS capabilities.
Reasons To Buy
- Our thematic investment research product, supported by our thematic engine, is aimed at senior (C-Suite) executives in the corporate world as well as institutional investors.
- Corporations: Helps CEOs in all industries understand the disruptive threats to their competitive landscape
- Investors: Helps fund managers focus their time on the most interesting investment opportunities in global Aerospace & Defense.
- Whilst most investment research is underpinned by backwards looking company valuation models, GlobalData’s thematic methodology identifies which companies are best placed to succeed in a future filled with multiple disruptive threats. Our unique differentiator, compared to all our rival thematic research houses, is that our thematic engine has a proven track record of predicting winners and losers.