Generics Global Industry Almanac 2015-2024
Global Generics industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value and volume 2015-19, and forecast to 2024). The profile also contains descriptions of the leading players including key financial metrics and analysis of competitive pressures within the market.
- For the purposes of this profile, a generic drug is defined as a copy of an ethical (prescription) drug formerly protected by patents that have now expired. Both unbranded generics and all branded generics are included. However, off-patent drugs that continue to be offered by the original manufacturer under the original name, and which form part of the ’generic-eligible’ market, are not included.
- The market value is evaluated at ex-factory prices.
- Market volume is quantified here as the percentage of the total ethical pharmaceutical market volume in a country or region which is accounted for by generic drugs. It is therefore a generics penetration rate measure, not an absolute measure of market volume.
- Regional volumes are calculated as weighted averages of countries which make up the region in question where volume data exists.
- Note that any volumes of "1" (one) or 100% are due to rounding as MarketLine does not believe that generics will ever fully represent 100% of the medicinal market in any country or region.
- All currency conversions were calculated at constant average annual 2019 exchange rates.
- Figures presented in this report are calculated applying the "middle path" scenario - this is based on the current situation in countries where the epidemic burst first, like China as a model countries and the announcements made by governments, stating that the abnormal situation may last up to six months.
- The assumption has been made that after this time the economy will gradually go back to the levels recorded before the pandemics by the end of the year. It is also assumed that there is no widespread economic crisis as seen back in 2008 due to announced pay-outs across countries.
- At the moment of preparation of this report in July 2020 the economic implications of the lock downs of many economics are still very difficult to predict as there is no indication how long the pandemics could last, the number of sectors forced to stay closed and the scale of the governmental’ aid involved.
- The global generics market had total revenues of $339.2bn in 2019, representing a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 6.1% between 2015 and 2019.
- Market consumption volume increased with a CAGR of 2.4% between 2015 and 2019, to reach a total of 54.6% in 2019.
- Asia-Pacific accounts for 38.3% of the global market value whilst Europe and the US make up 22.1% and 32.1% respectively.
- Save time carrying out entry-level research by identifying the size, growth, and leading players in the global generics market
- Use the Five Forces analysis to determine the competitive intensity and therefore attractiveness of the global generics market
- Leading company profiles reveal details of key generics market players’ global operations and financial performance
- Add weight to presentations and pitches by understanding the future growth prospects of the global generics market with five year forecasts by both value and volume
Reasons To Buy
- What was the size of the global generics market by value in 2019?
- What will be the size of the global generics market in 2024?
- What factors are affecting the strength of competition in the global generics market?
- How has the market performed over the last five years?
- How large is the global generics market in relation to its regional counterparts?