Glencore Plc (Glencore) is a diversified natural resources company, which produces and markets various mineral commodities. The company carries out production, refinement, processing, storage, and transportation of metals and minerals, crude oil and oil products, coal, natural gas, and agricultural products. It explores various metals and minerals such as zinc, copper, lead, aluminum, ferroalloys, nickel, iron ore, and cobalt. The company is also engaged in extracting, smelting, refining, processing, storage, and logistics and delivery of the commodities produced. It caters to automotive, power generation, oil, steel, and food processing industries. The company has operations in the Americas, Europe, Africa, Asia, New Zealand, and Australia. Glencore is headquartered in Baar, Switzerland.
The advancement in battery technologies and its underlying benefits is driving Glencore to replace diesel powered vehicles with EVs at its Onaping Depth Project in Subdury INO. Given the depth of the deposits, mining infrastructure incurs huge energy costs for powering the ventilation to remove exhaust pollutants, heat dissipation, and refrigeration to maintain required temperatures underground. Deployment of EV at Onaping Depth will enable the company to reduce energy consumption by 44% for ventilation systems and by 30% for cooling equipment. Moreover, use of EVs will minimize emissions, improve safety, decrease wear and tear and achieve cost savings.
The report provides information and insights into Glencore’s activities, including -
- Insights of its digital transformation strategies
- Overview of technology initiatives covering strategic partnerships and investments
- Insights on each technology initiative including technology theme, objective, and benefits
- Details of estimated ICT budgets and major ICT contracts
- Glencore is building digital capabilities either by developing new technologies in-house or implementing technologies of partner companies with the primary objective to ensure health and safety of the employees working at its mining sites. Its acquired technologies also focus on enhancing the productivity and delivery of commodities through optimization of back-end operations.
- In January 2019, Glencore partnered with NORCAT, a labor skill development and innovation services provider, to launch a technology and innovation program for safely testing and implementing disruptive technologies in a mining environment. NORCAT is an innovation center that operates an Underground Center to provide a platform to start-ups, SMEs and international companies like Glencore to demonstrate wide range of emerging technologies and test its applications within their mining operations.
- In November 2018, Glencore announced the implementation of ConnectedMine, an initiative aimed at making the work conditions safer for its employees through technologies like proximity detection to avoid collisions with moving equipment; monitoring devices to analyze ground ventilation and other field working conditions; and GPS-enabled devices to locate underground working personnel in emergency situations.
Reasons To Buy
- Gain insights into Glencore’s operations.
- Gain insights into its digital strategies and innovation initiatives.
- Gain insights into its technology themes under focus.
- Gain insights into various partnerships of Glecore.