Competition in ecommerce is increasingly becoming a straight fight between the US and China, with a handful of tech behemoths dominating the market and amassing huge troves of user data. As markets in Western countries become saturated, the ecommerce giants will be rushing to grab market share in the emerging digital economies, with India and Africa as the primary battlegrounds. In 2020 the internet super-monopolies’ plans for expansion might be thwarted by regulatory headwinds in the form of increased scrutiny of their antitrust and data privacy practices. All eyes will be on the European Union’s investigation of Amazon, which could set an important precedent in regulating ecommerce platforms’ dual role as both marketplace and retailer.
This report provides information on key themes that will impact the ecommerce sector over the next two years, including internet super-monopolies, mobile payments, social media, conversational platforms, AR, and data privacy.
- This report is a sector scorecard, which identifies those companies most likely to succeed in a world filled with disruptive threats. Inside, we predict how each theme will evolve and identify the leading and lagging companies.
- It includes a theme map that shows the 50 biggest themes driving growth in the ecommerce sector.
- It explains how some of the largest listed players in the sector have performed over the last three years.
- It looks at major technology and macro-economic trends impacting ecommerce companies.
Reasons To Buy
- Companies who invest in the right themes become success stories; those who miss the big themes end up as failures. Corporate executives and investors who want to outperform their competitors need to understand all the themes that impact their sector.
- However, many of these themes are, by definition, outside of the core competencies of company boardrooms because they typically originate from external industries.
- This ecommerce sector scorecard provides a top-down, comprehensive outlook for the key players in the industry over the next two years, based on the key themes set to transform their market.