The content of this report will be updated with the latest scenarios based on the global COVID-19 Pandemic
Allergic rhinitis (AR) is a common, IgE-mediated inflammatory disease in which an individual reacts to an otherwise innocuous inhaled substance in the environment with one or more of the following symptoms: rhinorrhea, sneezing, nasal congestion, and pruritus of the eyes, nose, and palate. Based on epidemiological analysis by GlobalData, in 2018 there were over 70.5M 12-month diagnosed prevalent cases of AR among adults and adolescents throughout the seven major pharmaceutical markets (7MM) covered in this report, the US, 5EU (France, Germany, Italy, Spain, and UK) and Japan. This represents about 10% of all people twelve years of age or older. 12-month diagnosed prevalent cases of AR are expected to grow at an annual growth rate (AGR) of 0.17% throughout the course of the forecast period, reaching about 72.0 M in 2028.
The greatest drivers of growth in the global AR ASIT market include the launch of five new pipeline therapies during the forecast period and a steadily climbing diagnosed prevalence in many 7MM countries.
The main barriers to growth in the AR ASIT market include persistently low treatment rates, low patient compliance and persistence, as well as shifting regulatory requirements in the 5EU, the largest market for these products.
Among the late-stage pipeline products, three are targeting grass pollen allergy using short-course preseasonal SCIT and two are targeting tree pollen allergies using SLIT tablets.
The most important unmet needs in the use of ASIT to treat AR included improved insurance coverage of ASIT products, increased access to allergy-specialists, changes to the way ASIT products are regulated, and strategies to improve ASIT compliance and persistence.
Key Questions Answered
Despite being the only disease-modifying treatment available for AR, throughout the 7MM, KOLs thought that the use of ASIT was far below what it should be and that this was due to an assortment of lingering unmet needs.
- Which unmet needs are limiting the use of ASIT in the 7MM?
- What strategies can the pharmaceutical industry employ to increase the use of ASIT in the treatment of AR?
- How should these strategies differ across different geographical markets?
The AR ASIT market in the 5EU, comprising 80% of 7MM sales in 2018, is steadily shifting towards a different regulatory framework, creating new opportunities and threats for companies going forward.
- What do 5EU KOLs think about the use of ASIT products regulated on a named patient basis versus those with formal market authorization?
- How best can the pharmaceutical industry anticipate and respond to these regulatory changes?
GlobalData expects that pipeline development of short-course pre-seasonal SCIT products and SLIT tablet products will powerfully shape the AR ASIT market going forward.
- What are the main R&D trends in the AR ASIT market and which companies are leading the way?
- Are there major differences in the mechanisms of action used by therapies in late-stage versus early stage clinical development?
- Overview of AR including epidemiology, etiology, pathophysiology, symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment guidelines.
- Topline AR ASIT market revenue, annual cost of therapy, and major pipeline product sales in the forecast period.
- Key topics covered include current treatment and pipeline therapies, unmet needs and opportunities, and the drivers and barriers affecting AR ASIT therapeutics sales in the 8MM.
- Pipeline analysis: Comprehensive data split across different phases, emerging novel trends under development, and detailed analysis of late-stage pipeline drugs.
- Analysis of the current and future market competition in the global AR ASIT therapeutics market. Insightful review of the key industry drivers, restraints and challenges. Each trend is independently researched to provide qualitative analysis of its implications.
Reasons To Buy
The report will enable you to -
- Develop and design your in-licensing and out-licensing strategies, using a detailed overview of current pipeline products and technologies to identify companies with the most robust pipelines.
- Develop business strategies by understanding the trends shaping and driving the global AR ASIT therapeutics market.
- Drive revenues by understanding the key trends, innovative products and technologies, market segments, and companies likely to impact the global AR ASIT market in the future.
- Formulate effective sales and marketing strategies by understanding the competitive landscape and by analyzing the performance of various competitors.
- Identify emerging players with potentially strong product portfolios and create effective counter-strategies to gain a competitive advantage.
- Track drug sales in the global AR ASIT therapeutics market from 2018-2028.
- Organize your sales and marketing efforts by identifying the market categories and segments that present maximum opportunities for consolidations, investments and strategic partnerships.