The content of this report will be updated with the latest scenarios based on the global COVID-19 Pandemic
"Back to school in the UK - 2019", report forms part of GlobalData’s Retail Occasions series, and offers a comprehensive insight into the consumer dynamics and spending habits of UK consumers for back to school. The report analyses the major players, the main trends, and consumer attitudes.
Back to school spend is shifting to earlier in the summer, influenced by promotions as retailers vie for a greater share of consumer spend. Promoting items earlier in the summer encourages greater spending, as nearly half of back to school shoppers spent more on the occasion this year than in 2018.
- 47.6% of back to school shoppers stated that they have spent more on this occasion compared to last year, driven by categories within uniform and stationery.
- ASDA is the most popular retailer for school uniform as 38.4% of uniform shoppers purchased from the grocer.
- Value for money and low prices are the two most important drivers of retailer selection for stationery purchases, and as discounters and value retailers improve their ranges, consumers will increasingly expect items at low prices.
Reasons To Buy
- Use our in-depth consumer insight to learn which areas which back to school categories are shopped the most by consumers, to ensure that product offerings are catering to the needs and wants of customers.
- Understand what drives consumers to use a retailer for their purchases, such as convenience, value for money and delivery options, in order to maximise sales potential.
- Use our in-depth analysis to understand which retailers are leading in certain back to school categories and why.
- Use our average spend data to understand how much consumers are prepared to pay in each back to school category.